ESS 6 and Windows 8/Office 2013

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by xxJackxx, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It's that time of year again when my ESS license is about to run out. I am currently running Windows 8 64 bit and Office 2013 64 bit. I have been renewing ESS or NOD32 since 2005, but have hardly touched it in almost 3 years. It would be my preferred suite, but I have had repeated issues with it. Looking around this forum it does not look promising. Are these isolated incidents? Is there anyone using it with 64 bit Windows 8 and 64 bit Office 2013 and having no issues? If I let it expire it will cost more to renew later if I change my mind down the road.

Also, are there any parts of the suite that are not fully functional on a 64 bit OS? I have seen in the last few days that some other suites have several advertised features that do not function at all on a 64 bit OS.

2. I don't suppose there will be any major issues with 64bit OS, since it's already compatible with Windows 8 32bit.

you can always try the trial version before you proceed to renew the license.

3. xxJackxx

Agreed but I was hoping to see something positive from someone using it with the specified software before I went to the trouble of running a backup, removing current suite, installing ESS, and possibly rolling back.

4. well the best opinion is your own testing, since every software will react different on different machines.

5. xxJackxx

Ok, I threw it in a virtual machine and experienced some of the issues I have seen in other threads posted. Thanks for the replies, but I am giving up on it.

6. a virtual machine is not a perfect environment to test something like that

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you mean issues with MS Outlook 2013? Which exactly?

8. xxJackxx

Didn't try Outlook. The flashing with the activation center. General firewall issues though I'll admit I didn't try very hard to adjust any settings. Maybe I should give it one more shot but I wanted to see that I could get a response out of someone if I encountered issues. Maybe I'll give it a run on my laptop later.

9. the flashing with the action center is not a huge problem, in my case it doesn't flash all the time, but every 10 seconds or so, and sometimes rarely.

10. Martinus

Martinus Registered Member

Been using ESS 6 with Win8 Pro (64bit) and Office 2013 (32 bit) with no issues.

What kind o flashing you people get? Never saw that before. Is it on the Desktop side?

11. Marcos

The problem with notifications from the Security Center was supposed to be solved in v6 as the notification feature was completely revamped and virtually coded from scratch. There have been reports that similar notifications appear with other products on Windows 8 so it may be an issue of the operating system. This will be investigated further though.
    As for the firewall, we're not aware of any issues specific for v6.

12. rekun

rekun Registered Member

also using win8 x64 and office 2013 without any problems

13. jumanji

jumanji Registered Member

Also using Win8 X64 and Office 2013 - but 32bit because of compatibility of plugins ;-)

So far no real problems - beside other Virussoftware the Outlook Plugin from eset is working outstanding. Also by browsing the web - i really feel very secure because from time to time eset blocks webpages or downloads befor i have started the download. I have verified it several times if this blocking was correct - it was!

Also the systemperformance is outstanding - also my father, after testing avira, avast etc. told me that his notebook with eset is fast as it was after he got it.

By my test with the actual versions of Kaspersk, Norton, Bitdefender, AVG, Avast etc. i have recognized more systemimpact - but most importend to me was the influence of the user on the virussoftware. It seems, that the Softwarecompanys have the strategy: "We are deciding how you run your system!"
    Example: Kaspersky deleted a .zip file without asking. The same happened to an other file from Norton - for me no way!
    Avast Outlook Plugin is a joke - they decided in the actual version that the plugin is only moving Mail from the incoming Postfolder to the junkmailfolder - but Avast is not learning anymore.

Regardings eset: It seems, that i, as the user, have the full control over my system and of corse the software - including eset.
    You can decide if you want that a software is phoning home (you don't believe how many software is doing this - and no - it is not for looking after updates - and you can decide (hips) what software is doing what on your system.
    All optional but you will not find other software with alle these features.

Also the support from eset is very competent and fast (THANKS MARCOS!).
    I haven't got such a support in the past.
    Have you ever tried to get support from other vendors? Have a look in their forums! Look to their problems - compared Eset is running 200% bugfree - also there is here and there an issue... but it will be solved.

If you was happy in the past - keep Eset! (And think about Office if you really want to run in 64bit)

14. xxJackxx

Nice testimonial, and I agree with most of it. I am keeping the 64 bit Office. Ok, you guys motivated me enough to try it on my laptop rather than just a virtual machine. You will be happy to know that everything seems to work and I have not as of yet seen any issues, including the action center issue. I am liking it so far, and it is definitely lighter than anything else I have used this year.

The real test will be when I get home with my laptop. The problem I have had with ESS 4 and 5 were that it would block my home network, regardless of the settings I put in. If this works ok then I will keep it and renew.

And yes, where support is concerned, ESET is on of the best and Marcos goes above and beyond what most anyone else does. I will follow up on this when I get home to either give it a final thumbs up or look for help with the firewall, IF there is an issue.

15. xxJackxx

Ok, I loaded it on my desktop machine and was able to connect on my home network, so I renewed.

I was a little disappointed when I rebooted my laptop after updating my FTP program and was prompted by ESS to choose a network type (again) followed by and error that said "Unable to load firewall configuration". This has been going on since version 4. Maybe it is not a huge deal but it would be nice to see it stop. No other problems on either machine, so far.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Nice to see you on board again Jack :D :thumb:

17. xxJackxx

Thanks, and thanks to all who posted. :thumb:

18. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

I've got Windows 8 on my PC and home, and had no problems whatsover with the Eset. I did a complete new install - proper uninstall of the previous Eset.
    I don't have Office 2013 on it though.

19. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

No problems noted running Microsoft Windows 8 Pro x64 and Microsoft Office 2013 on several systems at home. I'm not using Outook 2013 for email, though, just Address Book and Calendar functionality.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

20. xxJackxx

Yes, I went ahead and purchased. The only problem I am having is I have to do a manual send/receive on Outlook to download new mail. It's my understanding that will be fixed in the next released build of ESS. Overall I am quite impressed with v6.

21. Marcos

If you don't need ESS spam filtering and receive email via POP3 or IMAP, you can temporarily disable integration with MS Outlook until the next service build is ready and available for download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.