ESS 5.0.93.0 didn't tell me 5.0.94.0 had been replaced, why not?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bradavon, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradavon

bradavon Registered Member

ESS 5.0.93.0 didn't tell me 5.0.94.0 had been released, why not?

ESET Smart Security 5.0.94.0

As title. I've only just spotted on this forum v5.0.94.0 was announced last month. ESS didn't tell me. Why not?

I've just enabled the "Check for program update repeatedly" schedule task. Is this the only way ESS checks? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

http://www.filehippo.com/

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=calendar&module=azcalendar&cal_id=1

I Daily check either/both of the above sites for relevant Updates to everything I have. Subject to an expert's clarification I take the [ "Check for program update repeatedly" schedule task ] you reference to involve Only those modules seen when Rt Clk'ing the System Tray ESET EYE and then "About".

Literal Version Changes ((i.e.) to .94) have Always been Announced as a Forum Thread or via one of the above sites. We press-on with that reality.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you're interested in receiving every minor build (unnecessary if you haven't experienced issues), check the Update panel for information about the latest version. When ESET issues a program component update (PCU), you may either need to click Install in the Update panel or you'll be prompted for upgrade in a pop-up window if such an update is issued.

4. bradavon

Thanks guys.

That's the same approach Kaspersky took and I found it equally annoying then. I shouldn't have to manually check a forum to see if a new version is out, this is especially important for security software.

Avast as it happens notifies and auto-updates (if allowed) every version.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What's the problem with that v5 notifies the user about new program updates? Users with older v5 were offered an option to upgrade to 5.0.94 in a pop-up window, v. 5.0.93 users could upgrade by clicking the Install link in the update panel. Newer minor builds do not bring new features but contain fixes to issues reported by users. Those who haven't encountered any issues needn't upgrade to the latest version as installing it would not bring them any benefits whatsoever.

6. patch

patch Registered Member

On that we disagree.

I do not wish to have to debug all ESET faults especially if it has already been fixed and ESET has just not bothered to tell me.
    If the update contains bug fixes then what is the benefit in users waiting till they notice their system is not working as well as it should. Eliminate other possible faults in drivers, hardware, other application software. Realise ESET is unreliable, scan the forum and find someone else has had a similar problem and find there is a later version which fixes the problem.

ESET has an option to update program components. It should work.
    The value in an auto update system is it fixes problems before I find them rather than forcing all users to suffer every bug.

7. bradavon

Exactly. I agree with the rest of your post too. As said before, Kaserpsky are just as clueless to why it makes sense to enable auto-update too.

I suspect in both companies case, their update servers would fall over and it's more a financial reason why it's left disabled.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you can also go and open the gui click updates on the left and at the bottom click the word check. this will tell you the current version available. though i 1000% agree if there is a update it should be done automatically especially if set to do that. i hope i dont run into this issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.