ESS 4.2.x Install Problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Chris74656, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris74656

Chris74656 Registered Member

I myself mainly use NOD32 myself but a good friend of mine bought the Smart Security software mainly because he wanted the Spam Filtering for Outlook.

He had been using V3.x and had just installed 4.2.35 and while the installation seemed like it went fine after several days he noticed that when the system started the real time file system scanner appeared to be disabled but he could manually start it but on reboot it would still not start automatically. He asked me to take a look since he's not that technical.

This system is running Windows XP sp3 plus all available updates.

First, I was going to uninstall and reinstall the software but it does not appear in the list of installed programs in Add / Remove Programs. I tried going to the ESet program group and using the uninstall link there but it gives a message something like "This is only valid for installed products". So I tried right clicking on the msi installer and selecting the repair option but again I got a message that this only works for installed products. So I tried doing an install and the problem is that I'm getting errors from the installer that it can't write values to the HKLM\SOFTWARE\ESET registry keys and the install aborts.

On the off chance that some virus had gotten onto the system I ran various utilities to test for root kits and other hard to detect problems and nothing showed up. As far as I can tell the system is clean.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

- Chris

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.