ESS 4.2 Virus Scan versus F-Prot 6.0.9

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by YaddaMinski, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YaddaMinski

YaddaMinski Registered Member

I was surprised when I installed ESET on my XP desktop (getting paranoid with all the new attack vectors even though I use it little) that it was slower than F-Prot ('My Computer' scan 48 minutes for F-prot versus 62 minutes for ESET). Reason? ESET scanned 275,190 files/objects while F-Prot scanned 54,153. Is one fibbing?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There are two possibilities: the other AV didn't scan certain archives internally or it uses optimization techniques for faster scanning. Perhaps you might want to try out the new ESS 5 beta announced here to see if it performs even better.

3. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Was this the first time you scanned your computer with ESET?

4. YaddaMinski

No, when I installed it I did a full scan. Then one more before I noticed it took longer. F-prot is set to scan compressed files. More testing needed but I am happy now, I think, that I put ESET on this Win XP PC. Observation: all other malware suites have positive problems, but ESET if anything has a negative problem: it is so out of the ordinairy that one doubts it. But a double negative is a positive, right?

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Full scan times are not important in my opinion, if it takes 2 hours or longer to complete one then it's an annoyance, but I don't care wheter it takes 20 or 50 minutes, as long as it checks the system thoroughly for malware it's good.
    Better to look at speed impact on daily computer use, or if you're a bit more technical, Disk I/O and CPU time, because RAM usage doesn't say much either and there are ways to hide RAM usage.

6. YaddaMinski

I scanned folder with zipped files count of 9: ESET 16 seconds 1,061 files scanned, fprot 19 seconds 11 files scanned. Looks like fprot only counts approximately the zip file count whereas ess counts the objects inside the zip files. Note ESET was faster in this test.

7. YaddaMinski

Ekrn verus fpavserver is more intensive Read I/0 by ~ factor of 8 while CPU time is less by 60%. Must be why ESET runs well on the netbook my friend has.

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.