ESS 4.2.35 prevents computer going into power safe state

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by falke69, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falke69

falke69 Registered Member

Hallo,

since I updated my ESS from 4.0.474 (German) to 4.2.35 (English) my computer doesn't go into power safe state (standby). Windows Vista is not completely shutting down computer and turning off the power.

I uninstalled 4.2.35 and reinstalled 4.0.474. Now all is working properly again.

So there must be a conflict with new version and some drivers for the stanby mode.

Please can you check this. Has anybody else same problem ?

My system is a Dell XPS 420, quad core, 4 GB RAM with Windows Vista installed (German version).

Thanks for an answer

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. Shamus

Shamus Registered Member

Have exactly the same problem on two Vista Ultimate machines one 32 bit the other 64 bit.
    Both machines will not enter sleep mode with 4.2.35.0 - Downgraded to 4.0.474 and all is well again.
    Makes you wonder how well this stuff is tested before release!!!!

Shamus

3. falke69

No respond from ESET ?

So does this answer and feedback doesn't interest you ?

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Developers have been notified. Thank you for the report.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. Shamus

Shamus Registered Member

Just tried with 4.2.40 and exactly the same - When is this going to be fixed?

Shamus

6. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Hi All. I have the same problem. Looking forward to a fix.
    Have a nice weekend.

Cheers

7. Forellenblau

Forellenblau Registered Member

No problems so far with Windows 7 x64 and Eset 4.2.40.

Forellenblau

8. JasSolo

Just installed version 4.2.40. The problem is still there. Hopefully it's fixed in the next version :)

Cheers

9. camor

camor Registered Member

Hi!
    Same problem here after upgrade from ESS-4.0.474 to v.4.2.40 (clean install), PTB language.
    Downgrade to 4.0.474 and everything is ok now.
    PC desktop with Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.
    Wait for a fix.

10. falke69

Hi,

also same problem with 4.2.40.10 german version.

Problem occurs only with Windows Vista. Within Windows 7 there is no problem.

So on Vista computer I have gone back again to version 4.0.474.

Please fix this problem soon.

11. JasSolo

Forgot to mention, that I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits, so the problem is not just narrowed down to Vista and XP.
    Have a nice day :)

Cheers

12. GeoPappas

GeoPappas Registered Member

I was also receiving random BSODs when entering sleep mode or hibernate mode, but I was using ESET Smart Security 4.0.474.0 on a Win Vista Home Premium SP2 laptop.

The BSODs started on 03/01/2010. I received a total of 46 BSODs over the past month and a half. The error code received was 0x0000009f (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE). I uninstalled ESET three (3) days ago and haven't received a BSOD since.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

So far all BSODs turned out to be caused by an outdated 3rd party driver when installed in conjunction with the self-defense driver. Please configure the OS to generate kernel memory dumps, reproduce BSOD and let me know when done so that I can provide you instructions how to convey it to ESET for perusal.

14. GeoPappas

GeoPappas Registered Member

Please back that statement up with some documentation. Is there a knowledge base article that describes how to resolve this issue? If so, I can't find it. Is there a forum thread that discusses this issue (besides this one)? If so, I haven't seen it.

I worked on the problem for over a month and updated every driver that I could think of. But nothing seemed to help. I scoured the Internet and read hundreds of threads (literally). I ran hardware tests ad infinitum. If anything, things just got worse as time went on.

And even if there is an out-of-date driver (which I doubt there is), ESET shouldn't cause the system to Blue Screen.

The last straw was when a bunch of critical Windows Vista updates came out on 04/13. I installed them and tried to reboot (as required by the updates), but the computer would never startup fully. I had to finally go back to a restore point in order to get the system to reboot. That was the point when I finally gave in and uninstalled ESET. I didn't want to do it because now my computer is more open to attack, but I had to (because the computer was crashing constantly). And as I stated, the system has worked flawlessly since then.

I already have plenty of minidumps (46 to be exact) and have analyzed the files with both WinDbg and KD. But the minidumps didn't provide enough of a clue to pinpoint the problem.

But if you guys want to take a crack at them, I say go for it. Personally, I think that you'll be wasting both your time and mine, but I am willing to oblige.

I think that it would be more constructive to just admit that this is ESET's issue and fix it!

15. STRYDER

STRYDER Registered Member

agoretsky did say he let the developers know. Thanks agoretsky.

16. falke69

I started support request but no answer for 10 days from Eset.

Still waiting for a solution...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  17. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello falke69,

I have sent you a Personal Message.

Thank you,
    Richard

18. 1Jnodder

1Jnodder Registered Member

I'll add myself to this problem. I have 4.2.35 and my vista machine wont go into sleep mode when I configure it on the high performance power selection. If I go back to the balanced power seletion it enters sleep mode no problem.

19. JasSolo

Just tried to set to the balanced power selection, as well, I'm running high performance normally. Same same, still no power safe here, keyboard and monitor turns off, but the rest of the computer stay awake..BUT I can't wake up the monitor nor the keyboard again, unless i pull the plug on the computer, so to speak. I use v.4.2.40 on Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. Still waiting for an update.

Cheers

20. 1Jnodder

1Jnodder Registered Member

Are you going to submit a Customer Support Request? This is much worse than my problem. Please keep us posted on the progress. Thanks, Jeff

21. STRYDER

STRYDER Registered Member

22. JasSolo

Hi STRYDER.
    Thanks for info. I don't have any system restores to restore. I use a complete backup/restore, with Norton Ghost. I have, however, tried to disable self defense, in ESS, but the problem is still there. So unfortunally it's not just eneough to disable that :'(...still waiting for a solution, or new update to ESS.

Cheers

23. falke69

Sorry for late answer. PM has been sent back to you.

24. JasSolo

Hi All, I've narrowed it down, to be a ESS problem only. I've uninstalled ESS and switched to NOD32 AV and now the problem is gone. I guess it must be a problem in the firewall module, in ESS? Until there is a fix, I'll stick with NOD32 AV only.

Cheers

25. falke69

No answer to support request from Eset Germany for 16 days.

No comment ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.