ESET will not work with my Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by newbie2247, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 64 bit with Windows 7 last week or so and it didn't come with an email program, surprisinglyy, so I had to use the Windows Live Mail that came with all the Microsoft updates (Windows Live Essentials was one) even though I don't like it at all.

I see that it is putting the ESET signature on my emails - just the Outgoing though. So it must be scanning my email. But today I wanted to start doing some Whitelisting and Blacklisting and I have no options for it - I need to do a lot of it and this component needs to work for me. No SPAM options either - Really need this part too. I thought ESET was compatible with this mail program. What to do?

I even went to the ESET site, uninstalled and reinstalled it exactly as directed. Didn't make any difference at all. I don't know what else I can possibly do.

Any ideas? :doubt: I really would like all components of the Suite to work since I just renewed it.

I must have missed something because the ESET site says they are compatible. All my system info. at bottom with my signature.

Sure hope there is a solution to this.

2. Surebrec

Surebrec Registered Member

I'm having problems as well, though at least you have had a little more success than I have had. I cannot get it to work at all, either with windows live mail OR thunderbird. no file scans, no spam filters, not even a message attached to outgoing emails like you have managed to get.

all the suggestions posted here didn't fix my problem either, and I find that extrememly disappointing. I payed money in good faith to have peace of mind that my internet security suite is protecting every aspect of my online time.

the fact that it is not doing what I payed for it to do is very frustrating indeed, and to rub salt into the wound, it seems like no one is either willing, or able to offer me anymore suggestions.

as it is right now, I'm stuck with a product that for whatever reason only half works.

I purchased ESS based on reviews I had read and from what a friend told me, saying that it was the best internet security going.

I didn't actually expect it to not work 100%.

I'm going to have to stick with it because I already paid for it, but I can't say that I will be renewing my sub when the time comes, unless I know that EVERYTHING works as it is supposed to.

if you do manage to get yours working, any help you could offer me in getting mine to function the same would be greatly appreciated.

it seems to me, in my situation specifically, that "support" has now dried up

:/

3. newbie2247

So sorry to hear your woes and can empathize totally. Been there many times unfortunately. I'm rooting for you. Maybe for the holidays the kind, brilliant and extremely generous members here will help. Never say die because my experience here at Wilders has been wonderful and the geniuses here have taught a total dummy like a LOT.

At the very least, an ESET Representative certainly should jump in and help in order to prevent subscribers from throwing up their hands, canceling and demanding a refund. Also, they want happy people saying great things and re-upping. I'm sure they take great pride in their product and are very willing to help out here as the ESET online site that uses the Customer Support tickets is probably swamped.

"all the suggestions posted here didn't fix my problem either"

I scanned all around and didn't find any suggestions regarding this problem before putting up my post. Where exactly did you see them please because I'll try anything?

I can tell you how to get the signatures. It's called "appending the tag" and since ESET is so user-friendly - I've have it forever and it is the best - catches 99.9% of everything , even a dummy o_O like me can do it. I learned how right here. In all the earlier versions, it used to happen automatically but now you have to select it. Guess many users fussed about it.

I just chronically have BAD LUCK 24/7. Murphy's Law, that's my middle name. Somebody put a curse on me in the womb. ::

Click on your ESET icon in the tray and select Advanced Setup, then 5th one down select Email Client Protection. On the right hand side under Alerts and Notifications you will see the 2 options to "append tag messages to 1) rec'd and read mail and 2) sent mail. Here you click and from the 3 drop down choices you select "To All Scanned Mail" and make sure you put a check-mark in both boxes to append the note/tag. I've done all this and for some reason it is working, but only for the first option. It is NOT working for the SENT mail. Why? I'd love to know.

In my Email program, as always is when ESET is working right, I just noticed that the ESET icon is nowhere inside the program. Noticed that when I wanted to mark email as SPAM and start my Blacklisting and Whitelisting. So something major is wrong. Could WLE 2011 not be compatible with the latest version of ESET 64 bit people?

Please you brilliant eggheads, LOL, send me your suggestions and solutions. Pretty please. Point me to others threads where this is discussed because I haven't found any. Also, remember, we are now talking about a changed version of Windows Live Essentials. I have WLE 2011 and the very latest version of ESET for 64 bit home users. Maybe they don't play nicely yet? Anybody know the answer?

There has to be a fix. Has to. Thanks so much in advance!

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET does not currently integrate with WLM 2011 (this has been already discussed in several threads here). The plugin works fine with older versions, however. Effectively this means that the antispam will not work and email recieved by other than POP3/POP3S protocols will not be scanned.

Support for WML 2011 is planned to be added in one of the upcoming builds.

5. newbie2247

Thank you Marcos. I did not know that. I can now stop banging my head against the wall. :p

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was not aware of that as well. I'm glad to know that since I receive a lot of virus e-mails in my windows live mail account.

7. newbie2247

ESET does work with Windows Live Mail 2011

Dumb question from a big dummy:

How will I know when this happens so that I can download and install Windows Live mail and dump the despicable crappy program I am now forced to use please?

Thank you in advance and do appreciate your Heads Up and help.

(Don't know what you are referring to when you mention some "plug-in is available" for something or other...)

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Re: ESET does work with Windows Live Mail 2011

check periodically in these forums

9. newbie2247

Re: ESET does work with Windows Live Mail 2011

About how often please because checking in here is not part of my routine. I spend very little time on my `puter actually. Also, I know I will forget. Too bad ESET + Prevx doesn't send newsletters and alerts like soooo many others do. Our loss. :(

Also, how often should I check in, seriously, for new ESET versions/updates? This is tres important because I'm always praying that they get around to eradicating the Firewall bugs among many :blink: other things.

Thank in advance. :)

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

11. garyrad

garyrad Registered Member

I use a freeware program called "Cactus Spam Filter". It works very well with both ESET and Windows Live Mail 2011. It takes a little effort to figure out how to use this program but it's much easier than reverting to an older Live Mail version.
    I tried posting this info with a link to the Cactus Spam website (codeode.com) on this forum earlier but my post was apparently censured by Big Brother. Give me a break, it's a free program...i'm not trying to sell something. I'm just another frustrated ESET customer who's tired of waiting for ESET to get it together. I found this program, it's free, and it solved the problem.

I won't try giving the link to download the program again for fear the supreme rulers of this blog will again censure this posting. You can find the link easily through Google.

Good Luck

12. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Anybody knows when support for Windows Live Mail 2011 will be available?
    Live Mail 2011 has been out for around 5 months already, about time I guess.

I am using 1 http email account in Live Mail, and two IMAP accounts. So it doesn't scan any of those emails and also Antispam ain't functioning in anyway.

Or do we have to wait until version 5 arrives?

13. newbie2247

ESET and Windows Live Mail 2011 o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Anybody knows when support for Windows Live Mail 2011 will be available?
    Live Mail 2011 has been out for around 5 months already, about time I guess.

I'm checking in to ask if there is any news on the above compatibility issue (as advised by Marcos) yet as it it almost March now. I loathe Thunderbird email and want to use Windows Live email immediately.

I'm also having some frustrating and perplexing problems with the Antispam Protection module and need help, advice, guidance, etc. etc.

Since the ESET antispam module and the T-bird Junk folder are driving me crazy, I have to keep going to the Whitelist and Blacklist and delete everything listed on them. Trouble is, I have zero problems doing so with the Blacklist but I have learned that as soon as I delete everything from the Whitelist, it all returns. All that I deleted from the Whitelist loads itself right back up. Why? What is that all about? I seriously want to permanently remove those Whitelisted names successfully. Exactly how do I do that please?
    Why do they (whitlisted names) all return and the blacklisted ones do not return? Extremely confusing.

Lastly, I need to know one last thing re Antispam Protection that I cannot find anywhere in the Knowledge Base or by extensive Googling.

What exactly is the purpose of this "Exceptions List"?

What is exempted from what? Where can I get all the ESET info. on it that I've failed to locate? I want to know when to use it and how to use it.

Thank you in advance.

14. garyrad

garyrad Registered Member

6 month later...still no solution. I've sent e-mails directly to Eset's customer support; totally useless...
    I get replies like this....

Hi there, please refer to the following ESET Knowledgebase Article:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2138
    Thank you for contacting ESET Technical Support

and this...

"Email will not be scanned for spam on the client end until an updated plugin is released. ESET is currently working on adding full Windows Live Mail 2011 support to ESET Smart Security as soon as possible".

SIX MONTHS LATER WE'RE STILL WAITING!!!!!!!!!

(let's see if they come up with it before my subscription is up for renewal)

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

o_O EAV/ESS v5 supports Windows Live Mail 2011 except that there's no toolbar yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.