!ESET Update Problems - Business Impacting!

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Geosoft, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

For some reason our clients are unable to update to any dat after 4044. I have tried clearing the cache and redownloading the update on the ERAS and on the client, to no success.

It is sad that ESET does not publish its telephone support number so I can get direct support on this problem.

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

3. Geosoft

I already tried restarting the NT services, clearing the cache and redownloading. no dice here...

4. BigSoup

BigSoup Registered Member

Same issue here as well. I am unable to update machines from LAN (update mirror). I have tried everything. The only thing that worked was uninstalling completely and reinstalling. After reinstall I was able to update from LAN successfully. I do not want to have to do this for the entire network.

5. BigSoup

BigSoup Registered Member

I cleared the contents of the /mirror folder on the RAS manually, rebooted the server and initiated a update to repopulate the mirror. After that, the clients began updating successfully.

6. Geosoft

Yep... ESET contacted me. The Fix:

In RAS, Disable the mirror
    Delete files in the mirror (typically found in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Server\mirror)
    Enable the mirror
    Redownload files

Clients may need to clear their cache, but for the most part this works.

Apparently the issue was originally with downloading 4045...

7. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Nope. Not working for me. I have some that are at 4044 that are stuck, others at earlier versions that were installed around that time. They're all in the same position. Tried the fix mentioned above, no joy. I really, really don't want to have to manually uninstall/reinstall these clients.

Any other ideas to rectify the situation?

8. SmackyTheFrog

My stuck clients were cleared up by clearing their individual update cache and rebooting them. After that the update took.

9. anotherjack

OK, where's the individual client update cache stored? I must have missed it somewhere...?

10. clutch

clutch Registered Member

Having the same problem here. Looks to have started with update 4046 since most of my 600 clients are still at 4044. Some did update to 4046, but about 90% of them did not and are now reporting "recent update attempts failed" in the RA.

I have deleted everything in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Server\mirror" folder and have initiated an update from the RA->Server Options->Update tab. It's at about 30% right now. I'll report back with the results when It's done.

11. anotherjack

Yep, went through that as well, based on the prior posting by Geosoft. Working on the client end now. That's where i think the issue is, since I have some machines that are updating just fine.

12. clutch

clutch Registered Member

13. clutch

clutch Registered Member

Well, after updating the server from the RA, I selected 400 clients that were all having update problems and forced them to update from the server. Out of 400 clients, it looks like 11 are still having some sort of problem. Not bad....it fixed 389 of my clients. I can deal with those on a case by case basis.

14. anotherjack

I ran through the process outlined in the link you provided, and that fixed my test box. Now to figure out how to implement on the rest of the oddball machines. I've already gone through it at the server end. May try again just for grins.

15. clutch

clutch Registered Member

I'm using a bit of a shortcut to those instructions. I'm simply hitting those 10 or so problematic PCs via their admin share (C$) and deleting the Updfiles folder. It looks like the Chraron folder won't delete while NOD32 is running, at least not remotely. I'm then deleting all the em0**_32.dat files in the ESET folder. After that, I simply tell the client to Update via RA. Works like a charm.

Anything that can keep the users from being "disrupted" from their work, all the better.

16. SmackyTheFrog

Under the advanced options of the client, go to the Update menu and there is a button that says "Clear Update Cache". Otherwise you can delete the contents of c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\eset\eset antivirus\updfiles\ (c:\programdata\eset\eset antivirus\updfiles on vista or newer) and reboot.

17. clutch

clutch Registered Member

You don't even need to reboot. Clearing out the files I mentioned above with no reboot and re-pushing the update from the RA works great.

I guess the bottom line is that most of us are trying to fix these handful(s) of clients without having to remote into each one individually....or disrupt the users for that matter.

18. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

I just deleted the contents of the mirror folder that holds the updates on the server, redownloaded them to the server via the RAC and so far the clients are checking in and getting v4046.

So far no need to visit the client machines (thank god).

19. Geosoft

I had a few computers that were unable to update as well, so I just pushed the update profile to use the Internet ESET cache instead.

I'm just too lazy to manually manage each share. :)

20. anotherjack

Found that, but the button was greyed out. Went the other "delete this-n-that and reboot" route and all was well after a scare of "You're not protected 'cause my mind's missing" error on reboot. Self updated after that and all was well.

21. SmackyTheFrog

The vast majority of my problem workstations (~110) fixed themselves. About 15 or so needs the cache clear and reboot to get them working. I am only suggesting that route if the problem does not resolve itself otherwise. I still have about 10 or so users who are going to get their system rebooted at 6pm if they don't shutdown at the end of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.