ESET SS Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JerryhShen, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Join the club.

2. LoPhatPhuud

LoPhatPhuud Spyware Fighter

Jerry, by any chance are you running ESS4 under Vista?

I ask because I had a similar issue with Vista Ultimate (x86). It was connected to a Linksys WRT54GS via Cat5 cable and I still got those annoying IDS messages. At one point I had completely deselected all IDS options and still got the error message?

It mostly one heck of an annoyance, especially when I was online gaming and got dropped. It was reported to ESET but never resolved.

I tried all the solutions to no avail. In the end I pulled ESS4 and went to EAV4 with the Vista firewall. That computer is now down for repairs and when fixed or replaced will be going to Windows 7 so the whole issue becomes moot at that point.

Strangely, I have and XP Pro laptop (wireless) and an XP Pro Desktop (wired) both running ESS v4 without issues. There were a few disconnects but I went to test mode and have not had any trouble for over a month.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

What settings do you currently have enabled in the IDS and Advanced Options section of the firewall?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. JerryhShen

JerryhShen Registered Member

To LoPhat:
    I use Windows XP, so it's not a problem with Vista.

To agoretsky:
    For Allowed services I have the following turned on:
    File and print sharing.
    Allow Incoming PRC.
    Allow remote desktop.
    Allow response to ARP.
    I have it all turned off for the Intrusion Detection settings. I have the two boxes under Troubleshooting toggled on.

Also starting today, my update seems to be broke as well. I get the message that my update failed, but I can still access the internet normally, and I have not made any changes to my account info.

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

everybody knows your license allows you to install nod32. ie smart without antispam and firewall?
    if you still have time to run maybe install nod32. IMHO securitywise there isnt really much/any difference if you use a router and windows firewall.
    just a thought.

6. pinjoa

pinjoa Registered Member

verify if you have a "Conficker" version installed and running on your computer...
    :cool:

7. JerryhShen

To stratoc: So I paid extra for SS and I can only use nod32?

To pinjoa: PwsConficker? That is in my ID detection

8. bimota

bimota Registered Member

Too Funny. I have similar problems with ESS, the dropped internet and loading log bug being the most annoying. I tried for a long time to get issues with this product resolved and I think you are going to be out of luck.

My company is switching to Bitdenfender at the end of July and I was really bummed about this, as I really liked ESS and figured Eset would have things sorted by now. I feel a lot better about the switch giving that the same problems are still occuring.

Fortunately for us our licenses are about to expire, sounds like you just purchased recently. If it make you feel any better I suggested this software and got buy in a 4-5 months before version 4 came out. Everyone was happy and then they upgraded. Now I ended looking like the biggest tool, when all these bizarre problems came up.

Just to give you the heads up I had to remove ESS and just install Node32 as well to resolve my problems. Nod32 is great you just need a different firewall. You should see if you can get some money back if you just purchased.

9. stratoc

stratoc Guest

just noticed my firewall updated to 1050, fingers crossed 1049 worked like a dream, seems ok.
    i had to use just nod 32 for over 6 months due to 'issues' by the way, it's working for me now.

10. pinjoa

pinjoa Registered Member

Try before change to Bitdefender,
    My customers asked to install a different antivirus product.
    I am changing from Bitdefender to NOD32 (EAV or ESS) depending of the customers configuration and usage...
    The reported problems were related to high false positive alerts and databases removed by Bitdefender...

About NOD32:
    Your problem maybe a configuration problem...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  11. pinjoa

pinjoa Registered Member

You can use ESS!
    I use ESSv4 with Win VISTA Business SP1

"Conficker" has many "names" but with the same behavior.
    This week I removed a lot of undetected malware by EAV/ESS and other antivirus products.

- removed 650 malware files from a computer protected by eTrust product;
    - removed 20 malware files from a computer protected by Panda product;
    - removed 30 malware files from a computer protected by Trend-Micro product;
    - removed 60 malware files from a server protected by Kaspersky product;
    - removed 4 malware files from a computer protected by ESET product;

(all undetected malware was sent to ESET)

12. JerryhShen

To pinjoa:
    Well I ran full scan last night and nothing came up.

13. JerryhShen

I apologize for any remarks I have made against ESET and Smart Security. I have recently found out why my internet connection has been so unstable and nonworking, and it has nothing to do with ESET. I sincerely hope that in the future, others can learn of my mistake and hopefully prevent them making a fool of themselves online. At least in this situation. It was a conflict between desktop resolution being lower than the resolution in certain games, crashing the internet. As I stated before, the internet fixed itself after the newest SS patch, and I do believe that situation was resolved well and good. Again, I apologize for making an ass out of myself in this online forum and I do hope that this thread could help prevent future problems.

14. stratoc

stratoc Guest

thanks for the very honest update.

15. JerryhShen

It's the point of a tech support forum, to help ensure others don't go through the same stuff you had to.

16. patch

patch Registered Member

Glad you got it working.

Screen resolution problem causing lots of "Packet blocked by active defense (IDS)" and fixing when fire wall is disabled is not the first thing I would have thought of (unless the firewall was particularly sensitive to processor load).

Anyhow, glad your problem appears to be fixed.

17. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Reading about all the issues with ESS and not being one with problems, I thought I'd try disabling ESS and using only nod32 and to my surprise, internet browsing speeds seem a lot faster with just Nod and the Windows Firewall.
    Could it be that there is something wrong here?
    I had all IDS rules enabled and I believe that something must be creating all the dropped packets and false positives..

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Same, I believe either the firewall is too sensitive/restrictive or there's a major bug in there.

19. pinjoa

pinjoa Registered Member

I submited the samples to ESET Lab, and it take some time to test and include in pattern updates...

Remember that (any) AV only detects the already identified malware!
    To remove undetected malware you must do your research and know all about software that you have installed on your computer...

20. bimota

bimota Registered Member

Thanks pinjoa! Unfortunately my hands are tied now. IT is no longer taking my suggestions. I'm going to relay the message though. It will be very unfortunate if we continue to have problems switching to bitdefender, but at least I was not advocating for the product, so I won't come out looking like the bad guy.

21. JerryhShen

Actually I ran tests using Nod32, Adaware, Spybot, and Antimalware. Luckily nothing came up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.