ESET SS firewall impacts network speed

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by martijnkr, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martijnkr

martijnkr Registered Member

Hi,

I have a PC running Vista x64 with a gbit ethernet interface connected to a Synology DS-508, all running at gbit speeds with jumbo frame support.

With ESET SS 3.0.672.0 installed, I tested the (SMB) file copy speed with the following results:

(1) Synology -> PC: 58 Mbps down, 0.7 Mbps up
    (2) PC -> Synology: 111 Mbps up, 114 Mbps down

When I go to "Network and Sharing Center", LAN's "View status", "Properties", and untag (switch off) the "Eset Personal Firewall" and then copy files I get:

(3) Synology -> PC: 315 Mbps down, 1.6 Mbps up
    (4) PC -> Synology: 349 Mbps up, 1.8 Mbps down

How can I get the same file copy speeds with the ESET firewall as now I have with the ESET firewall disabled? Are there settings that I should adjust or are these speeds simply not achievable when the firewall is enabled?

Thanks,

-Martijn

PS. It also puzzles me why the up and down speed in test (2) are almost identical. Anyone got an idea why that is?

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

ESET's firewall as with most firewalls will cause some impact to your speed, but never that much... I have a 8mbit connection and don't notice it.

v4 boasts to not affect speed so you could try that if you wanted, if not make sure you upgrade your ESS to 3.0.684.0

3. userNamed

userNamed Registered Member

DNS gets slower

When I first installed ESET I did some testing. The only thing I could notice was that all addresses took .1ms longer to resolve over DNS. Other than that, I did not notice anything.

You will, however, notice a difference if you block HTTP addresses via Web access protection. Just disable it to see a performance spike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.