ESET SS do not detect private trojan

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Bray, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bray

Bray Registered Member

I was inserting my flash drive and i saw a folder named "New Folder.exe" and is defined as an application, normally there is no folder which has an attribute as an application; it looked suspicious but i decided to ignore it, but when i inserted my flash drive on my aunts laptop then her antivirus, "AVG 2011" has detected that folder as a Trojan horse virus win 32. In order to see if it is really a virus, i updated my ESET SS and then scan the flash drive. I was surprised when the result pop-ups and told me that there were no threats/infiltrations that have been detected. So I decided to borrow my sisters laptop with her antivirus as "Bitdefender 2011" then i scanned my flash drive, afterwards the antivirus confirms that the said folder was infected and is identified as private Trojan. My question is that, is the virus definitions of eset not good enough to detect threats compared to other antivirus's virus definitions? I am a long time user of this antivirus and this problem keeps alarming me every time i insert my flash drive, i am scared the fact that eset may not detect a virus when may cause my system to be infected with such. I had also submitted the file for analysis. help

if someone has a solution to this,please email me at billyraybacay92 (at) gmail.com ~ Email Address De-linked ~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET uses a number of technologies to proactively detect USB-borne Trojan horses and worms, however, that does not mean all of them will be detected proactively, and, of course, vendors may add detection of threats at different times.

If you have a malicious program which is not detected by ESET Smart Security you can submit it to the virus lab by sending a copy to ESET's virus lab for analysis. Instructions to do so can be found in this knowledgebase article.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. hopetobe

hopetobe Registered Member

I bet someone will give you this:
    How to submit virus or potential false positive samples to ESET's labs

and let you submit your sample to eset.

Finally someone will tell you that no antivirus solution can make you 100% safe. However the truth it is, a good AV won't use the excuse too often.

I believe in ESET for during the past 4 years, only twice have I got infected .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.