ESET Smart Security v4 - strange error

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by shirike, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shirike

shirike Registered Member

Hello,

Just installed ESET Smart Security as a free upgrade from v3 - the installation went smoothly (I used default settings) so I rebooted and everything was fine. Spent some time starting up my usual programs and getting them allowed by the firewall (was set to interactive). However, I had a need to reboot and when I logged in I received a balloon tip warning that my computer was no longer protected - I opened up ESET Smart Security and it said there'd been a problem converting rules (I'm assuming from previous version but I made sure to completely uninstall prior version and delete all files/folders/regkeys also). I decided to reboot again and this time it loaded up without a hitch. I thought perhaps it was just a temporary error but I've just booted up my PC and the same thing has happened - same error with the icon going red but I also noticed a yellow exclamation mark on my network icon and my internet was not working.
    Did another reboot and it has worked fine.

The help topic states it is a user rights issue with I'm a single-user admin on my pc with admin rights.

My specs as follows:

Vista Home Premium
    2GB RAM
    Connecting wirelessly via RT73 wireless card to o2 broadband.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. shirike

Just checked logs and the following shows:

10/03/2009 01:46:05 Personal firewall An error occurred while starting proxy server. Checking of application protocols (POP3, HTTP) will not work.

10/03/2009 01:46:05 Personal firewall An error occurred while starting firewall services. The Personal firewall will not work.

Now, I have a theory - is there any reason I'd get this error if I sign in as soon as the sign in prompt appears but NOT if I wait a minute or so before signing in?

Could it be that ESET goes FUBAR if my wireless connection is not establish by the time it loads?

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

What operating system/service packs are you using?

4. shirike

I'm using Vista SP2.

Here are screenshots of the error I get:

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zfiv4o.png
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2ebhdgi.png

If I reboot and log immediately into Windows, I will get this error.
    If I reboot and wait 30 seconds before logging into Windows, I don't get this error but sometimes my wireless connection needs manually connecting rather than doing it automatically.

I have turned off the o2 broadband assistant to see if this might be causing the conflict as the o2 assistant only loads up once a connection is established.

5. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

6. elapsed

I believe you need to install SP2 with ESS disabled for it to work, but since it's too late, you will need to disable UAC for it to work.

7. shirike

UAC is already disabled :)

8. elapsed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.