ESET Smart Security - UK Licence Question

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Shrek, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shrek

Shrek Registered Member

Hi all,

I am/was about to buy the Smart Security program for 1 year supprt with 2 licences which costs £50 in the UK (where I'm from). I did notice that after a browse on the net it can be purchased for 2 years support using the 25% off dicsount for around $103 which is a little over £50.

If there any problems with me buying from the USA while I am in the UK ? Any licence issues to be aware of ? As far as I can see, the only difference would be that I would connect to the US servers to update which is fine for me.

I have checked the FAQ and I cant see anything saying I can or cant do this.

Anyone know, or have advice ?

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you can only purchase in the USA if you have a US address for delivery - this is because the UK has a distributor and they have all the UK business. We do sell to overseas visitors who are in the USA on business for a period of time (they have a US address while they are here), or a student visa etc, but they have to provide a US address in order to purchase, or we are bound to refund their purchase and redirect them to the appropriate channel for their geography.

There are a number of situation where the purchase is valid, but as a general rule, you purchase through the channel for your home country - if you want more details, PM me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. Shrek

Shrek Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure why a delivery address would be needed ? Wouldnt it be a matter of downloading the software and using the licence key ?

Its just a bit of a shame why all these great 25% off offers are for the US and not the UK.

4. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

It's the Law in the UK. You must at all times be ripped off when compared to US or European customers when buying anything - shoes, music, DVDs, software....

5. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

<< uk resident, bought from BetterAntivirus (us/canada)
    no problems, saved a bundle!

6. Shrek

Shrek Registered Member

You dont have any problems with the licence/licence key and using it in the UK ?

7. webyourbusiness

The fact remains that US resellers are not allowed to sell outside the USA or Canada - these are the rules by which a US based reseller agrees to do business when they become a reseller. Has this always been adhered to in the past - perhaps not... will the software work anywhere if purchased online - yes. It would have to - people move around the globe - both temporarily and permanently. (for what it's worth, I am a Brit who lives in the USA).

Eset is clear on International sales - they are NOT allowed!

Those resellers who sell outside their territory are jeopardising their reseller status - so there are known 'exceptions' - for instance - US Forces posted overseas (these guys and gals have what is basically a PO box which technically not in the USA - I had one US Marine give a German address - we had to get his USPO address to process his order because the German address would have got the order canceled) - US Territories and protectorates (Puerto Rico for example).

People residing in the USA (even temporarily) who are foreign nationals are allowed to purchase from the US channel - these include (but are not limited to) - students, visiting business people and all sorts of visa holders. These generally have a US address they can use, because they are living somewhere.

This has been a tricky point in the past, as these customers will often have to input their overseas address as this is where their payment method is registered to. These days we insist that order provide a US address if the are overseas on their account registration in our online store. This enables us to process their order, as without the US address we know Eset will cancel the order.

Because of the possibility for someone who is TECHNICALLY from overseas, to have a US address, this has to be provided for the registration of the software - ALL orders placed by US resellers into the Eset ordering system without such addresses are CANCELED by Eset.

e.g., if you are a student here for 2 years and living here, but from say - Germany - you can purchase a license in the USA - but you have to provide the US address you have, or your order can not be processed. We don't mind if the billing address is overseas, as long as there is a VALID US address with which to place the order with Eset. Because if there isn't - we have to refund the order and apologize - we can not risk our reseller status for these kinds of orders.

The reason for all of this is Eset's reseller agreements - which we and every other reseller agrees to when you become a reseller.

I hope this clarifies things somewhat.

8. Shrek

Shrek Registered Member

I quite agree with what your advising me of. I'm not debating morals or contract agreements at all, infact I agree with 'most' of them. I'm just trying to get the best deal I can and judging by Eset's FAQ's on their site it doesnt stipulate anywhere on there that I cant buy/download from the US and use in the UK. I just dont want to get stung that if I buy it, try to register my key and it fails to work and risk not getting a refund. As you say, you provide a refund which is good. It would still be nice of Eset to remember that the USA/Can is not the only place in the world that should be given special deals like 25% off. Not only is the price of the software cheaper, it also has incentives to buy with discounts.

9. Shrek

Shrek Registered Member

webyourbusiness, I have a good friend from Peurto Rico that will let me use his address for registration purposes, would that be allowed ?

10. Chrissy Babes

Chrissy Babes Registered Member

Hello Shrek

I'm a new ESET reseller here in the UK. Just for clarification -

The prices are as follows:-

2 x Licenses ESS - 1 Year - £40
    2 x Licenses ESS - 2 Year - £75
    2 x Licenses ESS - 3 Year - £105

All prices include VAT.

Chris

11. Shrek

Shrek Registered Member

Chris, whats your website so I can order ? Or how do I do this ? I will probably just go for the 2xESS 1 year.

12. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

I'm also an authorised UK reseller for Eset. The "small print" of the licence you pay for will (I'm pretty certain) stipulate the area of the world you're buying for.
    It's a normal thing - software, music etc - as someone else remarked above "ripoff Britain, it's the Law".
    Of course you can use software anywhere, but if you're doing so outside of the licence agreement, the licence is then null & void. Just the same legally speaking as copied or "counterfeit" or other "grey market" software. This is what Micro$oft are always on about when they talk about pirated sioftware.

So, if you want to be legal, buy the UK versions from an authorised UK reseller.
    All the best.

PS : also we're not allowed by Eset to sell to people outside the UK.

13. Shrek

Shrek Registered Member

Whats your prices ?

14. webyourbusiness

please don't get into pricing on the support board - prices are set by the distributors and Eset.

15. Shrek

Shrek Registered Member

Please PM me your prices.

16. clyde123

clyde123 Registered Member

Much appreciate the opportunity to punt for new business, but I really don't think this is the place to start a price war.
    We normally sell these products at the suggested prices. Often we install the products for our own customers and make a decent profit that way. "Supply & Support" much more sensible than selling at little more than you buy for.
    So, will happily "price match" but sorry will not post prices publicly.
    Anyway, Nod32 and the Smart Security versions are far much better than the competition, people should be lining up to pay over the odds for them ..... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.