ESET Smart Security Trial Version - Scan Process Never Completed

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Lovely, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovely

Lovely Registered Member

Hi, I just downloaded and installed ESET Smart Security Trial Version several days ago to replace NIS that came bundled with my laptop (the 90 days license period has been expired about a week ago).

I have un-installed NIS prior to installing ESET Smart Security.

I have updated the virus definition withour any problem, and it is still automatically updating itself until now.

Yesterday I tried several times to do a scan to my entire C: drive, but the scan process never completed. It stops scanning files at different percentage of completion. Sometime it stops at 9%, some other time at 15% and the last scan stops at 8%.

When the scan process stops processing more files, all other process in my computer work fine.

When I pressed pause button, it show 'waiting to pause scan...' forever but there is no result. Stop button doesn't work either.

I am planning to buy an ESET Smart Security license when I feel satisfied with its performance, but now I have to reconsider my plan because of this.

Is this normal with the Trial Version?

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Perhaps there is a remnant of Symantec Norton Anti Virus still on the computer?

After uninstalling the trial version of Symantec Norton Anti Virus, did you run the Symantec Norton Removal Tool to clear out any leftover objects?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Lovely

Lovely Registered Member

Yes, upon completing un-installation of NIS, I did run Symantec Norton Removal Tool, re-started the laptop and installing ESET Smart Security Trial Version (downloaded from eset.com).

What else could be wrong?

I heard a lot of good remarks from my friends about ESET Smart Security, and I am very interested in using it.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just out of curiosity, how long did you wait when the scanner stopped? Maybe it was scanning a folder with tons of files inside so it might appear that the scan stalled even if it was actually scanning files. Maybe you could use Process monitor to monitor the activity of ekrn.exe when that happens.

5. Lovely

Lovely Registered Member

I use the option to launch the scanner with log in new window, at first it was running fine, but after certain times (if my memory serves me well, never exceed 1 hour) the scanner stops processing files.

Jus last night, I left the scanning process overnight when I saw it "freeze" at 32%. This morning, the scan progress is still at 32%.

What else could go wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.