ESET Smart Security Public Beta 1b now available

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

Exactly.

2. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

Well if your only talking about x64 and not x86/64 then your point is taken. x64 is a workstation-level machine, not even classified as a desktop PC like an x86/64. You do real work on an x64, probably minimal internet time percentage. If you're on a network at all, it is a closely filtered LAN with minimal need for NOD. let alone ESS. And when you do connect to Internet it is probably a filtering router which negates most inbound firewall need.

The vast majority of 64bit's are going to be x86/64 where 32bit NOD/ESS is adequate.

And don't tell me you need the SPAM control of ESS. The need for comprehensive, elaborate local SPAM control is a non-issue unless you are connected to a raw pipe and not a decent-sized ISP or enterprise. SPAM control is best done at the ISP, or at the enterprize level. The reason most ISP's have adopted comprehensive SPAM control, often as a 2-tier filter, is because it is prudent to capture SPAM at the highest level and minimize its propagation. It is a win/win because it reduces network loads and can be offered as a customer service. Only at these high-volume levels are the rules and algorithims really effective. I'm on Earthlink and it provides 2-tiered filter, probably like most large ISPs. And since I've converted my DNS to OpenDNS not even the "Known SPAM" propagates. So I'm left with a manageable "Suspect" group to peruse. And an uncomplicated, minimal SPAM control to sort thru those could be useful.

3. willardjuice

willardjuice Registered Member

What don't you get about the x86 version of ESS not working on Vista/XP x64 (I think you are confused, x64 = x86-64, not 64-bit CPU's like the Itanium 2)? You're right that the majority of 64-bit users will be x64 (aka x86-64), but that doesn't change the fact that ESS doesn't work on x86-64 versions of Windows.

4. slipperyfox

slipperyfox Registered Member

i had to reinstall on my sons computer as i had to format and now when i reinstalled it says Invalid user name or password could someone please help what they should be.

Thanks

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi slipperryfox!

Reinstall Eset Smart Security beta
    1. Download fresh new ESS from http://download1.eset.com/special/essbeta1b/ess_nt32_enu.msi
    1. Uninstall your current version from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs
    2. Reboot the computer when prompted
    3. Delete manually
    - C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application data\Eset

4. Install again ESS beta . Use Typical install and keep essbeta for username/password

6. don67

don67 Registered Member

Hi! please add the quik scan!
    there is no quick scan when you click the wright button in the mouse:oops:

7. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Is there any information about the release of ESET Smart Security Public Beta 1C o_O

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  8. Ven

Ven Registered Member

I've just installed Microsoft Vista on my Laptop. HP Pavilion zd8000.
    Later I installed ESET 1b without any problem until the sidebar started and the firewall was still on "automatic" mode. ESET decided that the sidebar was not trustworthy?!?

After switching to interactive mode everything went fine!:D

I'm still not convinced about settings in the anti-spam module. Does anybody know what to set?!? Or is the anti-spam learning "on the job"o_O?

9. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi Ven,

The automatic mode in the firewall doesn't have a preset list of "trustworthy" applications, it just does allow outbound connections and block inbound ones except for some cases.However, if you need incoming connections (for example, when using a P2P client or a VPN) you ave to switch to interactive mode and create some rules for it. I guess that was what you encountered (I don't have Vista myself, so...)

And yes the antispam learns as you train it with good/bad messages you receive.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  10. ToTaL

ToTaL Registered Member

hi! there is no quick scan when I right-click on a file/folder. Please ADD it

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Such thing (called either right-click scan on scanning from context menu) will be added with beta2

12. funtuva

funtuva Registered Member

ESS beta 1 firewall crashed on my Vista 32 system, some corrupted initialization files, I had to reinstall ESS. I hope this does not become a pattern now... so far the rest is running well, although I am not sure I want to uninstall Cloudmark spam filters, which have worked well with Outlook 2007. Maybe I will run both for a while and see what happens, then switch to ESS only and see difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.