Eset Smart Security-messing up and now crashing

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JCatGuy, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCatGuy

JCatGuy Registered Member

I have Eset Smart security 4.0...and it doesn't run out until the end of August. Everything has worked great w/this program.

Then, a few days ago...I noticed just some peculiar things happening on the PC (which is Intel Proc. Duo Core 2.66X2.66 ghz, 3gigs RAM, 320Rom, Windows XP Professsional, Cable modem roadrunner).

Anyway, when my techie guy installed my Eset and set it up...I remember seeing that the Firewall portion had only 2 or 3 green checks outside of the the first 4 programs which had those squiggly lines. Those Green checks were acrosss the board (4 different levels) on the incoming/outgoing programs.
    Okay, so I decided to check...to see if somebody's' getting inside...or anything...and I noticed that EVERY PROGRAM (about 40) had full access to (green checks marks in every category)...even stupid programs, I mean my entire computer is wide open and with cable modem, that's very risky...especially w/ID theft and people crashing computers...which is why I got a techy this guy to help me, as Free ZoneAlarm and Free Antivirus, weren't doing it for me. He said, "ESET IS THE BEST".
    So, I haven't been able to get in touch with him and I couldn't figure out how to fix the settings, on the Firewall, I tried to configure one of them and it took me like 15 minutes, so I'm not doing it right.
    So, I checked my Window's XP Pro Firewall, to see if that was running and he obviously had that running too (isn't it bad to have to firewalls working at the same time?). Anyway, so I saw there were about 7 exceptions of which I took it down to 3 exceptions and then I just made it no exceptions, and my computer ran fine...meaning, the firewall from Micros. XP wasn't even sending messages, "will you allow this to go through" and so on.

Now, tonight...I'm on the computer and it also happened last night but I didn't have a chance to read the error message...But what it said was something to the effect that ESET SMART SECURITY HAS A GUI error, and that your version may not be secure or (damn, I should've written it down)...and it asked me to send it to Microsoft as an error? But I was in the middle of something and I couldnt' stop what I was doing...or I"d lose all the work...and then it just went away.

I can't get in touch w/Techie and I don't know what to do. Does anybody have a clue what's going on w/my computer?

Thank you very much, Jay

2. JCatGuy

Can anybody help me w/Eset 4.0 Firewall?

Hello all,

I wrote yesterday, but, I re read it, and it was confusing...
    Gonna try to be more concise now:

Two Questions:
    1. Can you run both Eset's Firewall, and Window's XP Professional Firewall both at the same time? I checked and that's how my system was set up.

2. Secondly, I started to get strange problems...yet, w/constant ESET AV updates, and Malwarebytes and spybot, Tune utilites...system was always stable. So I checked into the Eset Firewall and all the settings had changed for 2 green checks in/out...to across the board, every program listed (about 40) have 4 green checks. Does this mean, in a sense, I have no firewall...if everything is wide open? And if so...how do I get it back to the original settings?

(I thought in the meanwhile that the Window's XP Pro Firewall, clicking on No Exceptions would help...but, everyday, my computer appears to breaking down). For example I ran a program and it doesn't work...tried malwarebytes, error...had to delete and reinstall...was unable to download programs, lasted 1 day. And when I restart my CPU...it could take up to three tries until it all the programs start up? I think...alhtough I can be wrong, that somebody is going inside my computer and messing around w/my programs and may even seek "info" for id theft, which I no longer keep on computer. I won't even places orders at this point...until I somehow, can get this worked out; that's how odd my Computer is behaving.

Well..I would be most greatful, if anybody had a suggestion or can offer some insight or advice...........................Thank you, Jay

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

you can use both firewalls but it is easy get into problems if you start playing for fw configurations. to make life easy just disable windows firewall. 4 green ticks means that application is allowed maximum access to the net because you trust it. what is the filtering mode set to?

4. JCatGuy

Filtering mode is set to exceptions...and there are 2.

But every program in my computer (in the ESET firewall has green checks marks, 4 checks across the board, for every program I have in my computer, meaning my computer is wide open, especially since it's cable modem).

Do you know how to reset it so I can start it all over again, and as the programs come up I can either give it temporary permission or full permssion?

I'd really appreciate if you know how to do this, to share the info w/me...

Either way, thank you very much for replying....Jay.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

in advanced personal fw setup click on default button, then confirm to revert to default rules. you might consider changing to automatic filtering mode again to make life easier for yourself or experiment with other options/modes. Help file lists what each filtering mode does.

6. JCatGuy

Hey Man,
    Thanks so much for replying...really appreciate it.
    Now, check this...I followed your instructions "below"

"in advanced personal fw setup click on default button, then confirm to revert to default rules. you might consider changing to automatic filtering mode again to make life easier for yourself or experiment with other options/modes. Help file lists what each filtering mode does."

And it took a while to find advanced per FW setup...now when I clicked on the default button...all hell broke loose. I think it's me...unless there's a ghost in the machine...but, when I tried to click on "automatic filtering"...I was also asked specifics...of which, I was clueless (I mean, I know exactly what programs I want to be able to allow incoming, outgoing...etc., have 2 green checks and two ? (ask)...but, I didn't know how to set them. I thought automatic filtering would just put in all the settings for me, unless I hit the wrong Automatic settings, but I was "in the Firewall" section of SMART SECURITY 4.0, not in the combo Firewall/SPAM section, nor the AV section...had to been in the right place...saw my programs, and did see the advnancedbutton...and on the bottom was the default button.

I read about what each mode does...and that made me even more alarmed as now I know, I'm a wide open.

In the meanwhile...I keep my computer off...unless I'm using it...Tried to contact ESET for some support but didn't get through. My subscriptions ends in August, and it worked so well for me, never had to mess with it. My mistake was not asking the cat who installed it to show me the ins and outs, so that I don't have to call him whenvever there's an issue...and now, can't even reach him.

Again, appreciate your help...maybe the XP pro Firewall, will do something...although I heard it's fairly easy to get through...but, I'm not giving up...I'm going to try your instructions one more time...and see if the same thing happens again, later on today.

Hey, if I keep the CPU on STANDY when I go out or to to sleep (I never activated Sleep), it seems to remain stable throughout to the next day, but, my question is, in Standby mode, is my computer still vulnerable?

Take good care, much appreciation.....Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.