Eset smart security Jumbo frame support & system footprint

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jetspeedz, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetspeedz

jetspeedz Registered Member

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I don't see the old ESET forum anymore here.

Curious if jumbo frame support is finally implemented in ESET smart security 7? I know it is not supported o v4 which is what I run now and I never upgraded to 5 or 6 b/c I had no use for those features.

Also if anyone knows the footprint of 7 on system resources compared to older versions that would be great.

Thanks

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Can't answer the jumbo frame question.

The system performance and resource usage is pretty much the same with V7 as it was with v5 and v6.
    I got ESS 7 installed on a 10yr old pc with only 512mb of ram and it works as good as always.

Though V7 includes several new protection features so you should consider upgrading.

New forum found here: https://forum.eset.com/

3. jetspeedz

Thanks, if Jumbo frames work than I'll upgrade for sure.

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

FYI jumbo frames are only usefull in LAN. if you want to send such frames to your modem or router this hardware delays data cause it need to split those frames into smaller pieces - not recommended.

5. jetspeedz

Yes I'm aware of that. I have a big network at home and jumbo frame support is very useful when transferring files. Now i believe even over a WAN some ISP's do support jumbo frame MTU's but it is not common for the consumer lines.

thanks

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Actually, that's a good question. As I recall, jumbo frame support is largely an issue with the firewall feature set, and was requested a while back. But it's been a while since anyone asked, so I don't know the current status of support for jumbo frames. I will ask some of ESET's developers and let you know what I find out.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. jetspeedz

Thanks appreciate it. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling asking this question on the ESET forum.

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Support for jumbo frames was added in ESET Smart Security 5. It is also present in all versions of ESET Endpoint Security (formerly ESET Smart Security Business Edition) as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.