ESET Smart Security Icon Vanished From System Tray

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by NigelP, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NigelP

NigelP Registered Member

Not sure what's happened, but the blue ESET icon has decided to go walkabout and has disappeared from the system tray where it normally should be (by the clock in the bottom right corner)

A quick look at Task Manager tells me that both "egui.exe" and "ekrn.exe" are both running in task manager, and if I look at the EICAR test site, and try to download one of the test files, the alert box pops up to tell me it's quarantined the file so I know that ESS is running and working fine. It's just the icon that has vanished. Nothing I do seems to put it back. I've shut down, rebooted (several times) and it's gone, it just won't come back!

Curiously the sound icon has gone too, and so has the little left pointing arrow to display all the hidden/inactive icons.

Now I know I've not changed anything and it was there last night, where it's been for months since I installed it. It's only gone awry today.

Any ideas?!

2. redlabour

redlabour Registered Member

3. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Trivial problem, happened to me once or twice and disappeared after some update got downloaded. The time to worry is not when the blue eye disappers, but when it turns red. Than means that some protection is down. You would also get a baloon notice fromWindows warning that protection is down.

4. KarlBeer

KarlBeer Registered Member

NOTE: This will only happen if Security Service is running.....

Which in My Experience is the main cause for ESET errors. Make sure MSDefender, MSMessenger, MSSecurity, MSFirewall are all disabled.
    ESS Does this all, so it conflicts with the MS services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.