ESET Smart Security & ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 Beta Available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SweX, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

As far as I am aware of, each time you activate SSL protocol scanning, you are issued a new Eset root CA cert. That means if you turn off SSL protocol scanning, the Eset cert. is auto deleted from your root CA. Ditto for a reset to default settings - it does the same and deletes the current Eset root CA cert.

Now for the rub as far as ver. 8 goes. Let's say you like I did, set up a whole bunch of cert. exceptions. Guess what? They no longer work when a new Eset root CA is generated! Like that? Appears that the root CA pinning Eset does is to their own cert. .........OMG:eek: So you will have to set up all those exceptions up again. -EDIT- I forgot to mention that this exception setup issue came about because the Eset generated cert. was changed from the original one. I asked Eset if they update their cert. periodically and they said no. But at least of one other occassion, I observed the cert. had been changed. This also lends substance to the fact that there is no original root CA cert. pinning going on. I strongly suspect that is why Eset added the "known" cert. exclusion feature to ver. 9; they couldn't fix this issue with the excluded certs feature.

Anyway, something else for you to test.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

So far the beta is running great. I don't see where you can exclude files/folders like the old version, only extensions unless I overlooked ito_O I always exclude my other security from ESET and vice versa.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I recommended that they make some changes to the firewall editor. I can't see any of the allowed, or blocked application names. All I can see is something like, "communication is allowed for X, or communication is blocked for X". I can't see what X is though. Why on earth would they want to put an entire sentence there instead of the name of the application being allowed, or blocked? I can't see any of the names of the applications allowed, or blocked on my 17" monitor. I don't know if the monitor size would make a difference, but what is important is to see the name of the application instead of a sentence of unneeded information. There already is another column that says if the communication for the application is allowed, or denied so why say it again with a sentence that keeps the user from seeing the name of the application? It's just bad design. Also if you stretch the columns to see the application names ESS does not remember the changes made to the column dimensions so you have to do it every time you open the firewall editor. Eset said they would fix this, but informed me they would evaluate my other recommended change of removing the sentence which prevents the user from seeing the application name. If I can find another DVI cable this evening I will post screen shots from my test machine so it's easier to see what i'm talking about. I gave my parents the DVI cable to the monitor I am using on my test machine. I'm letting them use one of my computers since theirs was archaic.

4. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

is hips improved in this version?

in v8 I find it confusing and what seems like not a proper hips.
    smart mode (which allows everything almost?) and auto mode which allows everything not in the default hidden rules

5. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

using v9 on my win10 insider machine now :)

is taking very long time on its first scan tho. empty machine with a fast ssd.

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Just curious as too when V9 comes out of Beta! Sincerely...Securon

7. itman

itman Registered Member

8. itman

itman Registered Member

BTW - someone over in the Eset forums said that the firewall in ver. 9 will allow you to allow individual services in any rules for svchost.exe. I just hope they hope they don't muck up the WIN firewall service hardening(WSH).

9. wert33

wert33 Registered Member

10. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Final must be close now.
    Any show stopping bugs :doubt:

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Loaded the beta last night on 64 bit Windows 10. Not bad so far. A few small UI issues. I like it overall. I might buy a license again if I can find the right deal.

12. entropism

entropism Registered Member

The last few years, the AV has been $4.99 per year on Newegg on Black Friday. Ended up getting 5 licenses two years ago.

13. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

V9 Final is now officially available for download in the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Germany.

14. Securon

Good Evening ! Thanks for the Heads Up Fleischmann TV...Time for the Countdown! Sincerely...Securon

15. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Thanks! Changelog?

16. itman

itman Registered Member

Looks like it's available in the U.S. I just got my update notification for ver. 9.

Tip - go to Eset Forum and look for a thread on installing ver. 9. Some people say that you have to uninstall and install ver. 9. Also that importing of existing settings to ver. 9 is not possible due to internal file format changes. Eset's official line is an upgrade from ver. 8 to 9 is OK and recommended. You will also retain all your current settings that way.

My advice is do an image backup prior to upgrading in place. That was you can restore back to ver. 8 if there are issues.

17. xxJackxx

Good luck uninstalling the beta if you are trying to upgrade. It refuses and the uninstall tool won't do it either. Had to remove the registry key for the ekrn service to get it to uninstall. :thumbd:

18. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

The main reason I'm staying away until it goes live. I already went through the difficult uninstall process once before.

19. Securon

Good Afternoon! Checked the main screen at Eset...nothing too announce the official release of V 9! My feeling is have patience...Good things happen to those that Wait! Sincerely...Securon

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Mileage varies.

I must have installed/uninstalled the ESS and EAV at least 10x on a Win 10 laptop. Never had a problem.

Use the ESET uninstaller, instead of the general ESET AV Removal tool, in safe mode, following these instructions; http://support.eset.com/kb2289/#Windows10

21. xxJackxx

That may be, but are you talking about the beta, or version 8? I had this problem on 2 machines, and had the exact same issue on both. I lost 4 hours to the first machine. Uninstaller does not work, does not have permission to remove the service. Uninstall tool broke my network connection. System restore got me back to a working network connection but put the beta back on. Took a lot of trial and error to get rid of it without breaking my Windows install. Second machine was easier, I knew what to do. Yes, I should have restored a backup, but wasn't expecting it to take as long as it did. Yes, it is a beta, but it is publicly available and is easily accessed by the general public. I'd be more likely to let this go as a one time bug, if it were. I've run this product on and off for a decade, and this issue is a reminder of why I dumped it. I like the product, but things like this are why I'm not coming back. Last week I intended to buy a license. Now I do not.

Again, for anyone stuck with this issue, the easiest way I have found to rid yourself of the beta is open regedit, delete the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn" (from safe mode if necessary), reboot, then try to uninstall again.

22. Marcelo

Marcelo Registered Member

I had the same problem both times I tested the beta. The second time I had a weird problem where windows services thought the computer had no Internet connection but other software could access the Internet normally. Both times I restored from an image taken before installing ESS 9 beta. I had no problems with the beta version itself but the uninstall procedure certainly has issues.

23. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As the name of this thread, the Beta version.

24. xxJackxx

I asked because not everyone in this thread is talking about the beta. Thanks for clarifying. And it uninstalled ok for you? My earlier criticism of the product may have been harsh, but I really want to like this thing, and every time I decide I want to buy into it, something like this happens...

25. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I expect v9 to launch in the US *VERY SHORTLY*.

Our discussions with staff in San Diego indicate is will not be long at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.