ESET Smart Security blocking google.com

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by qwert1, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoghurtt

Yoghurtt Registered Member

Bump...

Still no change? I even tried Jenee's "workaround" of going to interactive mode (bleh) but to no avail, ESET asks if I want to allow the traffic and I click allow, after which google sites are still being blocked (and yes I set it to remember the rule/exception, on a side note, when you set more than 5 orso rules in interactive mode ESET GUI crashes, several times now).

This is a seriously weird issue, and if it's not fixed anytime soon I'm going to cancel my license and ask for my money back, I think 55€ is a little expensive for such a substandard product.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Yoghurtt

I'm sorry to bump this, but still no change?

3. abr133

abr133 Registered Member

Got this problem today - blocking google and msn. Will try some of the suggestions in this post later. But are disappointed - eset should have got rid of this problem months ago. I have used Eset for many years, but have not had it on any pc last year. Bought a new one pc week ago, with win7. Purchased eset as I always found it to be the best sec. program. I have never expected problems of this character.... Hope I will get rid of the problem...

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please create 2 Wireshark pcap logs: one with fw enabled when the problem occurs and the other with fw disabled when opening google and msn works just fine. When reproducing the problem with fw enabled, also enable logging all blocked connections in the IDS section of the fw setup. Let me know when you have the logs ready so that I can provide you further instructions.

5. abr133

abr133 Registered Member

Has downloaded wireshark, and was about to try this solution - it is my daughters pc. so it has not been ava for me since sunday. I then see that the firewall is enabled (I disabled it on sunday) and things seem to be fine. she used another network during the weekend, when the problem showd up. Will revert with info if problem occurs again

6. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

For those that say ESS is blocking Google and or other sites, are you certain that it is ESS blocking the sites or could it be that you have a setting in your browser that is blocking the sites. Or you have another type of filtering or security program on your system that could be blocking the web sites. Under Web Access settings in ESS Advanced Setup, have you modified the default settings, if you have this may be the problem.
    The standard install of ESS without modification would not block these web sites.

7. abr133

abr133 Registered Member

Well...have used standard settings in ESS, problem did not occur in my wireless network at home, but in another wireless network. Checked settings in browser, tried som changes w/o positive respons. When I disabled the firewall in ESS the problem was "solved" - also, I could use these sites. In my network at home I do not have this problem. Will revert if problem occurs next the computer is in another network. Have no other security program

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When you're able to replicate the problem, enable logging of all blocked connections in the IDS section of the fw setup, replicate the problem and eventually check the firewall log for details about the rule that blocked the connection. Does disabling the "Block unsafe address after attack detection" in the IDS setup make a difference?

9. MuffPotter

MuffPotter Registered Member

Well good to see that i'm not the only one with that kind of problems.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=258536

I for my part deinstalled ESS this week and now i only use the AV and the Windows 7 Firewall… without any problems. So the problem is the ESS Firewall in my opinion. But i have no longer time to
    a) search a solution and try new configurations etc.
    b) wait some minutes for every google search

10. Yoghurtt

I've resolved my issue by uninstalling my IPv6 Tunnel, which is really weird considering I've had that for quite some time before this issue manifested itself.

This probably means there's something in recent ESET Smart Security updates which made it unable to properly handle IPv6 for some websites (if that's even possible o_O ). I'm by no means an expert on networking, however:
    1. IPv6 worked perfectly before
    2. Disabling ESET firewall (but not the IPv6 tunnel) makes sites reachable
    3. Disabling the IPv6 tunnel (but not ESET firewall) makes sites reachable

So if you're reading this with a similar issue and you're using an IPv6 tunnel, try uninstalling it and see if that makes a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.