ESET Smart Security blocking google.com

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by qwert1, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

LMAO. You are so out of touch with reality. Eset has millions of consumers using version 4 and all are happy. Why dont you stroll over to the Avira Support Forum Here and count the number of requests for help in the last 2 days. It aint no different my red eyed friend. Eset is no better or worse then all of them. If you are so dis-satisfied with them, just let me know and I will get you over to the Avira side. Because Eset is still moving right along in positive fashion, with or without ya.:cautious:

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

can't say 'all' or 'never' however I agree that probably most have no issues & the few such as myself always stick out because of the way discussion boards are run, the negatives always stick out because we are disatisfied...I will try my firewall & just AV of nod tonight as an alternative but I do understand others getting perhaps too upset. However ESET's program does have some problems. IMHO all suites have problems I don't care who they are made by because in the sincerity to do their best things like computers are not created equal therefore and there are incompatibilities & this is where most things get out of hand. People just don't get that every program has it's limitations and not everything can be made to run on your machines...

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree Larry. I only bothered to try it again after a friend here basically said to look beyond the plants, try it again and do your own investigating. That is why I installed on 3 different setups and all have worked flawlessly. So I bought the suite. I owned the AV already. I do know some have issues, but that is true for all. And there is a proper way to get it addressed without all the theatrics. I have seen Ronjor and Bubba shell out some great help in the last week along with the Eset folks. Is it a problem that can be fixed with a twitch of the fingers, not always, but foks have to hang in there. Eset will get this right, like most vendors eventually do.
    Jeff

4. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Oh brother....

You are completely out of your mind.

COMPLETELY!

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Maybe, but I control it.:cautious:

6. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

could of fooled me...but you didn't.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would never try to fool anyone, just help with what little I offer.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Last time I got dragged into this conversation, the entire thread got moderated, just a warning trjam you're probably wasting your breath.

9. theseus47

theseus47 Registered Member

If you're implying that I need to do my own investigating and try other suites, there's no need as I've bought both suites already, as well as a few others. If you're implying that I should simply move on to another suite if I don't like ESET, the point is that I do like ESET, and would rather they get their act together instead of replacing ESS with another suite on my main system.

I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing about here. I already stated (twice in this thread) that the majority of ESET customers have no problems with ESS, so you're preaching to the choir here.

Obviously, the optimal number of bugs in a suite is not 0, as the costs in making such a bugless program wouldn't justify the diminishing returns in customer sales. On the other hand, just because a minority of people have problems doesn't make the necessity to fix the bug in a timely manner any less legitimate. In this case, where the bug is potentially program-breaking and driving away a certain number of customers, it's not a stretch to say that fixing it should be high on the priority list for ESET.

ESET is a business and must look beyond the program itself. There are any number of potential problems from inadvertently blocking key websites, like Google and Yahoo, even for a small % of its customers--including legal ramifications if the problem persists long enough and the minority gets annoyed and/or vocal enough.

EDIT: In any case, this is getting off-topic. The point is to make sure ESET is aware of this persistent problem and fix it in as short a time as is reasonable by keeping the issue alive enough so that resources, scarce as they may be, are allocated to fix it in a timely fashion. To that end, the fact that a large portion of the customer base doesn't have this problem is largely irrelevant unless there's some other bug that urgently needs to be addressed more than even this one.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

This is right on topic. My post was aimed at that guy who has a lot of first names joined together, not at you.

I thank you for your honesty and candor.:thumb: You are obviously like me, a Eset customer who wants to see them get this right, period. ;)

11. apex2000

apex2000 Registered Member

Just found this forum after experiencing problems with ESS4. It actually started last Saturday (25 April 2009) with me not being able to enter Google reader or GMail. In the beginning I thought it was the Thai government up to their tricks or something - trying to stop people communicating, etc.

In the end, and purely by accident, I found that the problem was with ESS4. I did a fresh install of Win 7 7100 and, before installing ESS4, I could get through to all Google web sites. Then, after installing ESS4, I couldn't do anything with any Google site. On top of that, Windows Update wouldn't work, and I couldn't run the Mozy Backup configuration program.

Right now, I am using NOD32 AV and Windows Firewall. However, I would really love to go back to ESS4. I hope ESET get this problem sorted and quickly.

12. Ryan Hayward

Ryan Hayward Registered Member

Out of curiosity, why not just revert back to version 3 instead of getting frustrated? Its completely stable. ;)
    Beats switching to another security suite that'll only slow down your 'puter....

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

good point Ryan. I think for some, it is so they can do the old "Splash and Dash" here.

14. _Logan

_Logan Registered Member

I'm glad to see this thread, I was just on my way to report this! I too have the issue with the ESET firewall blocking google.com, and gmail. It's strange, it doesn't happen all the time either, but most of the time for sure. For awhile I just thought it was my poor dial-up DNS, but even when I changed my DNS to OpenDNS it still did it. Just today did I think to disable the ESET firewall, and things work perfectly now!

Has been a very frustrating few weeks dealing with this since I upgraded to v4. I didn't read all of this thread, but from I could tell not many others can reproduce this, nor know what the problem could be? I'd be happy to supply logs (if it would be in there) or anything that could help this get fixed.

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It should help if you disable the "Block unsafe address after attack detection" option in Setup -> Personall firewall -> IDS and advanced options section. A newer firewall module will be distributed within a couple of days automatically to those who have test mode in the update setup enabled and receive beta modules automatically.

16. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

what do I need to do to get those updates for testing?

17. JoeBingo

JoeBingo Registered Member

I am experiencing problems associated with my ESS 4.0 firewall as well. The problems have only started within the last 24 hours. I had not made any hardware or software changes and can only guess that the problems MAY have been as a result of an automatic update or something. I have had to disable my ESS 4.0 firewall in order to get to MANY sites, including google.

I tried uninstalling ESS 4.0, downloading the latest version and completely reinstalling with default settings this morning and I still have compatibility issues with the firewall. Does not matter if the firewall is in Automatic or Interactive filtering mode.

I have made the changes suggested in the above quote and hope to receive "a newer firewall module" within a couple of days.

XP Home SP3
    IE 8.0
    ESS 4.0

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You still using "Hide My IP."

19. JoeBingo

Nope ... I got rid of that crap, shortly after figuring out how to make it work months ago. By the way, I was using ESS 3.0 back then ... and since that time, I have slicked the hard-drive and done a complete OS reinstall months ago as well.

The only other app that runs full time along side ESS 4.0 on my machine is "Super Ad Blocker" which also includes SUPERAntiSpyware within the ad blocking app.

You can see by my post count and join date, that I am a lurker. I do not post unless there is a real problem. Otherwise, I leave the posting to professionals and stay out of the chit-chat and ya-ya BS.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

very good my friend. Could Ad blocker be the issue? You just might want to see if it conflicts with the latest version of ESS.

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try unchecking the "Block unsafe address after attack detection" option in the IDS section of the firewall setup.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Better advice then mine.:)

23. JoeBingo

Of course anything is possible trjam. But interestingly, when I disabled ESS firewall, the connectivity issues with "many" sites went away entirely.

I wanted to hold off a bit before chiming back in, since disabling "Block unsafe address after attack detection" as suggested by Marco ... but, since doing so, I have not had any issues either. SOooo ... I think the fault COULD be with the ESS firewall module.

I still can't figure out why I ran for about a month with ESS 4.0 (Interactive mode) and only in the last 24 hours, started experiencing connectivity issues with a bunch of websites. I could not update Sun Java, ESS blocked the java update. I could not connect to CNN or Fox or Photobucket except that all images were blocked and there was only plain text. Also, I could not connect to my homepage, DrudgeReport or google at all. I'm sure there are many other sites I WOULD have had problems with.

I also removed and reinstalled Sun Java and Adobe Flash. STILL ... the problems persisted until I disabled the ESS firewall module .... and as stated, followed Marco's suggestion of disabling "Block unsafe address after attack detection".

So, SO FAR, the workaround "for me" seems to be to use Marco's suggestion and there are no connectivity issues.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

then I would suffice that Marcos is aware of said issue and in a later update, a fix will be released. Thanks for working with the vendor.

See, it does work if you try my friends.

25. JoeBingo

I have been running fine since doing so just a little over an hour ago.

I also checked "test mode" ... does that mean that when a beta firewall module comes out in a "couple of days" that I will automatically get it or do I also need to become a beta tester or something as well?

I have no interest in being a beta tester by the way, I just would like to get the next firewall update in this case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.