Eset Smart Security 5 - Install Error - EKRN could not be stopped

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by hawkeye2012, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkeye2012

hawkeye2012 Registered Member

I've uninstalled my older version & had successfully installed version 5

After a reboot, my Microsoft security essentials complained and after a reboot I found that the ESET version 5 had been removed? Really weird.

I removed Security Essentials successfully, however when I try and install ESET 5 (ess_nt32_enu) again I get the following error at the very end of the installation.

Installer Information
    Service 'Eset Service' (ekrn) could not be stopped. Verify that you have privileges to stop system services.

Retry does not work and Cancel takes me back to the beginning.

How can I fix this?
    Running Windows XP 32 bit.

Tas.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It sounds like you were performing reintallation over an existing version, otherwise the installer would not attempt to stop ekrn.exe. Could you confirm? Have you tried running the Uninstall tool in safe mode as per the instructions here?
    Should the problem persist, generate an install log as per this KB, upload it somewhere and post the download link here.

3. hawkeye2012

hawkeye2012 Registered Member

Hi, The previous version was uninstalled.. (or so I thought).. maybe it was not?

I've had this problem before (where Eset) did not uninstall the software.

Anyway, I found the uninstaller for version 5 & removed two pieces of software that was installed.
    Once this was completed, I started the re-install & presto, it said you cannot continue when another installation is incomplete..

I canceled the installation, I initiated & the software continued the previous installation & it all seems to be working fine now.

On another note, why does ESET not support the latest version of Thunderbird? (V12) They seem to have stopped at around version 4 of thunderbird? Which is around 2 years ago.
    I'm a little stuck now, because my spam engine used to take care of all that for me.

Thanks

4. encus

encus Registered Member

ESS has stopped supporting Thunderbird due to too frequent update of Thunderbird itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.