ESET Smart Security 5 blocks Thunderbird7.0.1

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jjn361, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjn361

jjn361 Registered Member

I've recently installed ESS5 on my desktop (the current build, it was just downloaded last night). Since this installation, Thunderbird won't download any mail (the progress bar just goes on forever and the new tab that opens is blank and stays that way). If I disable the ESS integration with Thunderbird, e-mail arrives instantaneously, so it's definitely an issue with ESS 5.

Any ideas?

Thank you...
    jjn361

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESS doesn't integrate with Thunderbird 6 and newer so it's very odd that disabling integration would make it work.

3. jjn361

jjn361 Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply.

It's more than having to disable integration; ESET protection has to be temporarily disabled.

ESET doesn't integrate into Thunderbird 6 or 7, but there is still an option under Advanced Setup>Web and E-mail>Email Client Protection>Email Client Integration to integrate into Mozilla Thunderbird. When the program upgraded from 4.2, it was automatically left on. That option is now unchecked permanently.

In that same section, we have checked 'disable checking inbox content change' to see if it makes any difference. It does not make any difference.

Also, under Network>Personal Firewall>Rules and Zones - there is an entry under Rules for Thunderbird and all options across the board have been allowed (all traffic in and out). This also doesn't seem to make any difference.

The bottom line is that the only way to view mail in Thunderbird (Thunderbird reports that mail is received, but it will not open the messages), it to temporarily disable ESET protection, which is essentially turning off the program, which makes it essentially useless.

We could solve this uninstalling and rolling back to an earlier version but this will likely cause me to lose my settings and it doesn't seem right that we would no longer be able to update ESET.

Thanks again for your assistance...

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

with many av's you need to open thunderbird and for each account go to account settings and go to server settings set the encryption to none do this for incoming and outgoing then see if it works. also check the ports being used and make sure they match. next you can also untick the integrate into thunderbird and also try with the "none" settings as above. avast has to be done this was as well as some others in order to work properly so its not just eset

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  5. jjn361

jjn361 Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I double checked but the encryption was already set to 'none, the ports match and the integrate is unticked. Unfortunately, that isn't what is causing our issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.