ESET Service has stopped working

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by deanparkr, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanparkr

deanparkr Registered Member

The 30day trial has been going great but yesterday and today ive had a message box appearing saying "The ESET Service has stopped working". It seems to happen about once an hour and is incredibly annoying.

I have tried re-installing but its still appears.. any ideas what it could be?

I was really happy with it as it was much lighter on resources than other clients ive been testing so would really like to use ESET if I can get this error to go away!

Oddly the ESET tray icon stays in place and everything appears to be working apart from the "ESET Service has stopped working" message. o_O

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Sounds like something is stopping the gui process, try a scan in safe mode. You can also use Sysinspector to generate a log and submit to tech Support so they can have a look at it.

3. deanparkr

4. deanparkr

argh its all gone wrong now. I uninstalled, rebooted but its come up with ESET in red saying that the firewall configuration cannot be read and everything has crosses next to it (Anti virus, firewall, anti-spam)

I cant use the uninstaller because it says "this option is valid only for programs which are installed".

I cant system restore because all the points seem to have disappeared. :'(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/deanparkr/esetproblem2.jpg

Is there any kind of uninstaller I can download to remove ESET? The uninstaller thinks its uninstalled and the installer from the ESET website says it cant register the ESET Service ekrn (or something) followed shortly by "The ESET Service has stopped working". I am completely stuck :( ESET is unusuable and I cant get rid of it! ahhh

Any one have any ideas?? :(

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  5. flyrfan111

I would suggest a clean OS install, from the looks of the screen capture you have over 16 million detected infections

6. deanparkr

That number is actually a random number and seems to change each time I open it. I had 0 blocked attacks when the software was working.

I just found these nifty instructions: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN558

Hopefully that manual uninstall guide will do the trick!

I wonder if its worth installing again after this? :doubt:

7. flyrfan111

I have had very few problems with the latest ESS release, not that it does you much good at the moment though.

8. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

I would highly suggest that you fully erase your drive, then reformat, prior to reinstalling Windows. Simply reformatting then reinstalling Windows will not render a clean install at all, especially if you have any malicious files, viruses, rootkits, etc.

Check with your HDD's manufacturer's website. They might provide downloadable apps that will totally zero your drive to factory condition. Also look to see if they provide any formatting apps too.

If you happen to have Western Digital HDD's I know for sure they have both the Erasing software and Formatting software. Erasing (Zero-ing) is done with LifeGuard Diagnostics. Formatting is done with LifeGuard Tools.

9. michael83815

michael83815 Registered Member

I had this problem. Do a system restore to a point before you uninstalled Eset and then uninstall eset again it should work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.