ESET on Mac mini review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mattdocs12345, Apr 22, 2015.

1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I recently acquired a mac computer. I have been running without antivirus of course for months. Everything works fine. I have decided to get an antivirus, even thou most of the issues on Mac are malware, etc and there are not that many of those in the wild. My biggest concern however was phishing and PUP that recently are becoming more and more popular.
    My laptop:
    2014 Macbook Air, 4GB ram, 1.4 Ghz Intel Core i5 (base model)
    PROS:
    - unobtrusive
    - runs smooth
    - no annoying pop ups
    - smart scan is relatively fast and does certainly does not slow down the system
    - it feels like nothing is running in the background
    CONS:
    As I said I am running this for mostly PUP and phishing protection and as anti-malware second. Disabling real time file system protection pops out a big red triangle in my Mac's title bar. This is more of an annoyance more than anything else, but there is also no way of hiding that icon. So really there is not that much to customize UI wise. Not a big deal since running wise the AV feels like it's not there.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I don't know what are the settings on Mac version but on Windows version of ESET I disabled Scan on File open and File creation and left only File execution checked. If you check out Advanced settings - section Real-time file system protection, you can uncheck all three options and this way more or less disable file system protection. You won't get red triangle if you do it this way.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please refrain from giving advice that exposes users at risk. By following your instructions, users would become vulnerable to script malware as it wouldn't be scanned by ESET's real-time protection. Note that scripts are not executed, they are interpreted.
    To other users - for ESET to provide maximum protection, do not disable any of the real-time protection settings that are enabled by default. Also keeping Live Grid as well as other protection features will ensure that you will be protected to the maximum extent.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

My post was meant for OPs CONS section of the post and not as an instruction for other users.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.