ESET NOD32 Trial will not initiate first update on two clients' computers

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by othersteve, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. othersteve

othersteve Registered Member

Hello,

I have two computers in my possession which I cannot get the first update to initiate. I have heard this has been problematic in the past and I am simply hoping someone can point me in the right direction to correct this in the future.

Thanks!

Steve

2. Futurist

Futurist Registered Member

i have the some problem but for the updating of trial version from yesterday and today. I've already posted... now we wait some positive answers =)

3. othersteve

Yes, futurist, I certainly hope so. :)

4. Cerpintine

Cerpintine Registered Member

I am having this same problem aswell. Installed the trial this morning..

5. aptisman

aptisman Registered Member

I am not on a trial but mine has not updated since yesterday. I have already started another thread on this.

6. Futurist

wow!i'm happy i'm not alone...:D i'm unhappy for the updated :(

7. Futurist

someone has resolved ? :(
    someone could help us?

thank you

8. othersteve

I don't mean to be pushy, but someone really needs to help us out with this. I am a tech who does a heck of a lot of advanced disinfection work and if I can't get the product to update following install I will have no choice but to temporarily recommend another solution to them.

I have probably installed ESET on over 200 computers over the past several months, so believe me, I'm sending business your way! ;)

Steve

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1, what error message do you get when clicking "Update virus signature database"?
    2, do you have the update server set to "Choose automatically" (default)?
    3, I assume you're using the full version and not the trial one, right? If there's a problem with your license you can PM me your username and I'll check your license status.

10. othersteve

Hey there Marcos,

Thanks for the reply. I am receiving the ubiquitous "Update not necessary" message on all three computers. All computer are running the trial version, and hence should be able to update without issue for the first 30 days. Also, the setting is Choose Automatically, and no proxy server has been selected. The internet connectivity is fine elsewhere; I can ping the servers.

As I've said, I'm a computer tech, but I really don't know where to go with this. I am convinced it is a longstanding problem with the program itself, especially after experiencing the same problem on three different PCs at two different locations.

Steve

11. Marcos

A huge update containg a large number of signatures has recently been released. Trial users may receive it with a certain delay. What you can do is apply for an evaluation ESS license on the ESET download page and use the assigned username and password to update EAV for 30 days.

12. The fox

The fox Registered Member

Back when I had this problem, continuously pressing the "Update Now" button a few times worked, especially if you're still running on the trial versions.

13. othersteve

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have attempted the update many times and it has failed with the same message.

Marcos, I appreciate the workaround, but unfortunately, I cannot take the time to apply for trial licenses for each user separately and install the licenses on their PCs. Apart from the fact that this would require a great amount of trouble involving acquiring their email addresses, checking the email, and so forth, this now worries me that other recent computers I have returned to owners are not updating, and are thus stuck with definitions dated May, which would, of course, be thoroughly unacceptable.

The reason the definitions would be from May is that I was, until recently, using the 437 EAV program build for install, which was released then. It wasn't an issue since the definitions had been updating, and the program updates have been minimally important. Can I be assured that these clients are protected in spite of the fact that I can no longer get newly-installed builds of the ESET NOD32 trial to update?

I apologize for the pressing inquisition, but please understand that this is a fairly important matter considering that these PCs had been taken to me for advanced disinfection. If they were to become reinfected just after having been returned, that would certainly look bad.

Steve

14. othersteve

An update on the situation:

So in the absence of a real solution, the technician in me resorted to personally correcting the issue (at least in the short term) by forcing an update of the signature dat files. Here is what I did, in case others are interested:

1) Disabled Self-Defense in the ESET Advanced Options; rebooted.

2) Entered Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > ESET Service, changed Recovery > First Failure to "Take No Action".

3) Killed task ekrn.exe (ESET service).

4) Overwrote all em0xx_32/64.dat files with versions from an up-to-date computer running ESET NOD32.

5) Changed properties of ESET Service Recovery First Failure back to "Restart service"

6) Turned Self-Defense back on.

Voila! Updated ESET NOD32. Now just to ensure it continues to update.

This does not solve the problem; it simply performs a one-time update. It makes sense that the problem will probably continue even after this is manually forced... though if I am wrong, ESET developers, please feel free to correct me. This DOES also force an update of the Update Module (dated 10/19), so it's possible that it will fix the problem entirely...

Steve

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  15. Futurist

i have unistall and reinstall NOD32 but now the situation is more critical because the updated not work, and my virus database signature is 4469 o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O o_O

i think now that there are problems with server?

tnx for your reply

16. Futurist

news.. I've installed the version 3, in italian but it's happend the same problem...

someone help me?what i can do?

17. othersteve

Futurist, I am leaning toward the same conclusion regarding server issues.

If this is indeed the case (and it sure seems to be so), it's pretty unacceptable that it would be occurring for this long without correction. Well, actually, regardless of what the issue is, it's still unacceptable.

I certainly hope we see an official resolution on this today. I would hate to have to call all of my clients from over the past 30 days and recommend to them AVG or another competing and comparable solution. But please understand that I must do what is best for my business... you'd think ESET would be doing the same!

Steve

18. Futurist

Hi steve... !i'm without updated today...and you? after 4 day, i'll hope for today!

19. othersteve

Hey Futurist,

Just after posting my last message, I was able--after repeatedly clicking the manual update link--to get ONE of the three computers to update. The update download was terribly slow, leading me to believe that it is indeed ESET's trial update server load which is causing the problem. The other two are still hanging.

A quick ping to the address that netstat references a TCP connection from ekrn.exe is headed to reveals that the theory carries some weight:

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>ping 89.202.157.227

Pinging 89.202.157.227 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.202.157.227: bytes=32 time=377ms TTL=43
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.202.157.227: bytes=32 time=176ms TTL=43

Ping statistics for 89.202.157.227:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 176ms, Maximum = 377ms, Average = 276ms

C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxxxx>ping 89.202.157.227

Pinging 89.202.157.227 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.202.157.227: bytes=32 time=175ms TTL=43
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 89.202.157.227:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 175ms, Maximum = 175ms, Average = 175ms

I would hope this could be resolved very soon.

Steve

20. Futurist

HI steve!great work.. I Think that the trial version has a unfuncionally server..you have demostrated...

thank you very much steve.. I'll write you from italy!

ps: do you know if is there an italina forum abuto eset nod32?

21. Futurist

hi steve, incredible!!! updated now now!! very very slowly :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

we could confirm that the server of trial version are affected of... crash, or i believe that the trial version is putted in last position of updated.. i'm confused about this choosing of nod.. other antiviur have the trial perfect functionally...

wrong choose for this policy...at the end of trial, if the situation is will evlved better, i change the antivirus..

22. Marcos

Every AV vendor prefers paying users to trial ones, just check their forums and you'll see.

23. othersteve

Marcos,

No offense, but I think the point Futurist may be trying to make is that you have to first convince people to purchase your software if you want them as a paying customer. By providing sketchy and apparently overloaded (unreliable) update servers for your would-be prospective customers, you're only going to turn them off.

It's not like we're talking about mere update priority for paying customers. We're talking about convincing someone to try a trial of your software and then making them go for days without an update, thus putting them at pretty serious risk. I don't care how you look at it, that is unacceptable.

Hey, I'm as much of an ESET fan as anyone. As I have said, I have sold hundreds of licenses to paying customers this year alone. But I'm also a bit irked about this most recent issue here, and your reply in this forum doesn't leave me with much confidence about future resolutions. Sometimes it's a good idea to simply admit you made a mistake and graciously offer a solution. No matter how good your software is (and it is very good!), this is the sort of thing that separates the best companies from the rest.

Steve

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  24. Futurist

HI Marcos, before Nod32, i have used another shareware most popular antivirus (Kaspersky), but many people have suggested NOD32 bacause it has more option that for internet not reduce the speed..ecc...

in kaspersky, the trial version is the same, for the updates of the original.
    only with the trial version, one NEW user can understand how an antivirus ( with updated) work.. for example, k used a listening port for the updated, here there 'is a request..ecc...

However, I've a 20 day of trial..and then I'll decide.. Any answer..when the nod32 version 4 it'llbe in italian?

TNX for all marcos!

25. Marcos

It's up to the Italian distributor when they release it. It takes time to produce CDs and all marketing materials before the release takes place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.