ESET NOD32 AV and PC tools Spyware Doctor

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Queequeg, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queequeg

Queequeg Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I am currently using NOD 32 and Spyware Doctor (spyware version only). I have had no problems with the 2 running together, however I can't help but feel that my real time protection is a little OTT.

Therefore I want to turn off some of the settings in Spyware doctor and let NOD 32 do all the real time stuff because of it lower memory foot print.

Please could someone advise on the best combination of settings, currently ESET is set to the default full active scanning.

Which of the following Spyware Doctor settings do you think I could switch off, ie what areas are doubled up by ESET.

Browser guard: stops Hijackers and malicious adons

Cookie Guard: Blocks tracking and data mining cookies

File Guard: Stops opening/ copying/moving malicious files on your system and in outlook

Immuniser Guard: Stops malicious Active X controls

Keylogger Guard: Stop Keyloggers

Network Guard: Host file protection, LSP protection, Restricted message service, DNS protection, network registry settings

Process guard: Stops rootkits

Start up guard: stops malicious changes to start up

Currently all Guards are on. But I want to reduce what is running to keep my system memory foot print small for gamming reasons.

Thanks Q

2. DSM

DSM Registered Member

This is interesting to me... I have not been successful getting these two apps to work together properly.

Specifically, I can consistently cause either of my two systems to lock up by having NOD32's "real time protection" turned on at the same time as Spyware Doctor's "File Guard". It only takes a minute or so for things to get bogged down in that scenario. It's not a full lockup, but mouse clicks take approx. 15-30 seconds for a response, and some functions (background email checking for sure) lock up entirely.

Likewise, with both of those applications running, if I attach an external USB drive to either of my systems they will lock up hard. The only way to do anything with them is to powerdown and reboot. Mouse will move, but no other reponses from the systems (ctrl-alt-del, etc.).

System 1:
    Laptop P4 3.0GHz 1GB RAM WinXP Home SP2 (all current updates applied)

System 2:
    Desktop P4 3.2 GHz 2GB RAM WinXP MCE SP2 (all current updates applied)

Both systems have NOD32 AV 3.0.650.0 and the latest Spyware Doctor (can't tell you version right now because I've deactivated it for system stability - but it's their latest).

- David

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I know it doesn't solve your Spyware Doctor problem but I found CounterSpy worked well with NOD V2 and V3 and it's cheap.

4. DSM

DSM Registered Member

That's what I used just prior to purchasing Spyware Doctor... wasn't fond of the CPU utilization it caused, as well as a few other odds and ends. I was hoping to get a better solution with SD, but I'm definitely considering going back at this point.

Unfortunately PC Tools hasn't been very helpful so far in my questions to them. Something tells me that they won't be very much inclined to assist with a compatibility issue with a competitor's product.

Thanks for the suggestion!

- David

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I have one more suggestion and that is to trial the latest version of SAS. Personally though I just rely on NOD and my router at the moment.

6. inpersonam

inpersonam Registered Member

I am running Eset Nod32 with Spyware Doctor (anti-spyware only) without noticing a problem, and do not suffer from the slowing up described.

7. DSM

DSM Registered Member

Inpersonam, can you provide some specifics about your system configuration (which OS, software versions, how the programs are configured)? It's very strange that I have two different computers that are 100% consistent with these problems, yet you're not seeing it.

8. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Just a thought, it may have to do with which software was installed first, and whether the first one installed was shut down during the installation of the second program.

I am thinking about installing the free version of spyware doctor, and I have NOD32 installed, so I guess that might be asking for trouble.

-HandsOff

9. Queequeg

Queequeg Registered Member

Sorry been away in for 3 weeks.

I do some times experience system slow down at the desktop, but no system locks. Also I recently played crysis with slow down only in a couple of seens.

I just wanted to turn down spy doctor a bit just to lower cpu usage and memory foot print.

I have XP 32bit, use intenet explorer and windows firewall, and outlook express for my emails. I have tuneup 2006 for maintaince.

my system spec is

Q6600 at 3Ghz
    2 Gb DDR2 1000mhz
    Geforce 8800 GTS
    2x Western Digital Cavier 250GB (raid 0) (12GB system partion/150GB games partion/remainder as storage)
    1x 36 Raptor (4Gb page file partion/remainder quarrantine partion)

I had ESET installed first.

10. Paraglider

Paraglider Registered Member

I also am using nod32 and spyware doctor on vista 32 without problem. I have all the SD guards active with their default settings.

11. stratoc

stratoc Guest

same here :)

12. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it would be OK to give a try. I don't know much (anything) about spyware doctor but my roommate thinks that it is good at detecting things that other software misses.

My system seems to be running OK, but it is getting a little dated. I'm not sure I have any problems, but the internet is getting to be faster than my processing power, or so it would seem. I do a lot of surfing on Flickr, and so I have image data coming in. The internet seems slower on my computer than my roommates, but then he probably doesn't have pages cached to the extent I do either. Do you think it is likely to find or correct anything that would be missed by a combination of NOD32 & Trojan Hunter (with the active Trojan Guard component running), and Sunbelt Kerio Personal firewall running? I have only 1GB of DDRAM and a 1.8 GHz Pentium 4. My cable connection appears to be extremely fast.

-HandsOff

13. inpersonam

inpersonam Registered Member

Delighted. XP Pro and lots of apps. Can you suggest a simple report I could generate, as there is too much to list manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.