ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 unveiled

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Marcos, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

ESET state you do not need to uninstall your previous version
    Also, for guys (or gals) with activation problems:

2. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

It still turns your ping times and thereby your whole internet world into a horribly slow adventure.....

3. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

4. AStaley

AStaley Registered Member

Is there a release date for v5 Business Edition. Or is it even close to release?

Thanks.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's not ready yet. When a beta of the business edition is available, it will be announced through the official channels.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

7. piranha

piranha Registered Member

yeah, and not very good :doubt: :blink:

Uneven Protection
    While ESET turned in a decent score in my malware removal tests, it really flopped in malware blocking, setting several new record low scores. It does score better in independent lab tests, but I can't forget the fact that it needed third-party help to remove one threat and allowed another detected threat to install on the clean test system.

why eset score are better in independant test ? wich one is really serious ??

anyway, I like much independant review as av-comparatives.org and/or Virus bulletin ones. Cant forget web magazine needs sponsor and could want to please to sponsor that are competitor of Eset....

8. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

I think it is exactly the same as with all types of reports whether hardware, software, goverment, fiscal etc. You can interpret the numbers anyway you like and then release your conclusion. The bottom line is, always look at a stack of tests, drop the best and worst, then consider the average of the remainder.

As far as ESET is concerned, I don't think any av manufacturer is able to detect & remove everything in the real world. What I like about ESET is that it consistently detects and accurately identifies in detail even if sometimes it is up to me to find the third-party or manual removal solution (and this is not a common occurence). Stops me being bored...

9. Ego_Dekker

Ego_Dekker Registered Member

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392634,00.asp:
    The fifth generation products were released with no progress in these issues. Looks like ESET doesn't want to strongly improve malware cleaning.

10. piranha

no av are 100% safe but NOD32 is more than average !!

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1939055&postcount=4

11. cryon

cryon Registered Member

12. orengreen

orengreen Registered Member

All is well, but why did you remove the "update" feature from the menu that opens when you right-click on the notification icon?? That was the most useful thing about that icon!

13. piranha

not really, by default there is already virus database update each 1 hour and after internet connection. You cant update more often, even manually

14. Vimto

Vimto Registered Member

Sorry, his point is still valid. If I'm at a client's site, I dont want to hang around for an hour to make sure it's updating properly.

15. piranha

o_O :blink: o_O :blink: o_O :blink:

no need to hang around juste double click on icon, in the window go to update (at left). You see on right side date and hour of the last update. You can try to update manually here, you will be notify if update is necessary or not (this means nod32 connected properly to update server).

you can also have a look to Events log in the Tools.

16. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I noticed the following for scheduled tasks:
    limit is 1 hour against ESET servers
    10 minutes against ERA

But if you manually run the scan in the updater section, this check inmediately.

17. Ego_Dekker

Ego_Dekker Registered Member

How to configure confirmations?

confirmations.png

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Nod32 wrote the book my friend. I have 3 friends who bought ESS this week and love it. I showed them a few tips and they thought I had reimaged their computers due to how light it is. Yep, Eset got it right with this one. I am very happy for them.:thumb:

19. piranha

for the AV, ho yeah !!!! But for ESS, sorry, i never tell buddy to buy it, firewall is not as good as antivirus. Comodo free is very much better.

Comodo 100%

Eset Smart Security 6% (yes, six...)

Proactive Security Challenge
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  20. stevan4

stevan4 Registered Member

ESS 4 is at 6%,
    BUT after a quick view on the tests I expect at least 95% for ESS i.e. NOD32.

I'm 100% sure it won't be under 90%!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  21. piranha

if you are right, it will be a huge improvement, a colossal step. I hope for it but dont believe it is possible so quickly, sorry :doubt:

of which reviews are you talking about ??

22. stevan4

Tests by Matousec.

23. piranha

no link to give me ? dont find it...:doubt: :cautious:

24. stevan4

LINK
    Leak-test: Leak-tests attempt to send data to the Internet server, this is called leaking. Most of the leak-tests from Security Software Testing Suite are configured to use a script on our website that logs leaks to our database by default. For such tests, you can use My leaks page to see whether the test was able to transmit the data. For leak-tests that do not use this script, we use a packet sniffer in unclear situations. In order to pass many leak-tests, the tested product has to implement some host protection features.
    Spying test: These tests attempt to spy on users' input or data. Keyloggers and packet sniffers are typical examples of spying tests. Every piece of the data they obtain is searched for a pattern, which is defined in the configuration file. These tests usually succeed if the given pattern has been found.
    Autorun test: These tests attempt to install to the system in order to ensure they will be started again. The most common goal in case of these tests is to survive the reboot. Such a system infection is typical for various kinds of malware. The tested product fails the autorun test if the test is able to ensure that it will be started in the future again.
    System integrity test: One of the roles of security suites is to protect the system integrity from malicious modifications. System integrity tests attempts to gain enough privilege in the system so that they are able to subvert the system.
    Self-defense test: This category of tests include various attacks against the security product itself. Termination tests are the first subtype of tests that belongs in this category. These tests attempt to terminate or somehow damage processes, or their parts, of the tested product. The termination test usually succeeds if at least one of the target processes, or at least one of their parts, was terminated or damaged. Besides processes and threads, the security software usually relies on various files and registry entries. Tests that attempt to remove, destroy or corrupt these critical objects for the security product also belong to this category.
    Other: Tests that do not fit any of the previously defined types are of this type. These tests, for example, may check stability, reliability or other quality of the tested product.

Mods sorry for off-topic:doubt:

25. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.