ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security 5 Release Candidate available

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Marcos, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I may be wrong, but I think when you are viewing cloud you are using sysinspector.exe.

2. Mr_Grumpy

Mr_Grumpy Guest

Hello Stratoc
    Strange that i didn't notice that ,.... but I think you are quite right that when you are viewing cloud you are using sysinspector.exe. Maby someone From Eset could clarified it further.

Best Regards :)

Attached Files:

• rc.png
      rc.png
      File size:
      116.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There will be an option to turn off notifications about modifications of startup keys and values in the next build of the HIPS module. Plus we're tuning the rules to minimize the number of notifications in the mean time.

5. Coccinelle

I do not know why ESET decided that there is no need of Beta1 or Beta2, etc.
    They do directly released RC.
    Not to mention that HIPS is not ready at all.
    In automatic mode, leaves everything and interactive mode block even move a finger. Automatic mode= 0 protection from HIPS.More user are normal peoples and aumatic hips mode= 0 protection.
    Kasperky in automatic mode works pretty decently, and asc a question when trying to install something.Here i can give en examples of other antivirus.
    Avira has no new version , because they press ahead and put something that is not ready to this day -still work on it.Be serious ,your products are paid and no place for joke here.Do not make the same mistake like Avira, it will be very disappointed for the users.The people waited two years to out something new (for new viruses require new developments) and this can makes them disappointed and migration to another product.
    Good day.

....p.s.Hips got to notyfied but To manny pop-ups for one think.I never see Comodo to give me information for one think 100 times.
    Be seriously the hips is not ready at all.If Eset left in this state will be many ennoying with many information and many questions.
    And do not forget that this is the only major change in this version 5 -expect 2 years.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  6. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

All you Windows Update Error users: The Temporary FIX to Download via Windows Update is as follows: per Bigcatjosh ----

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=298629
    Post #11

[Go to "Advanced Setup" and under "Web and email"-->"Protocol Filtering"--> UNTICK "Enable application protocol content filtering".
    Re-enable after updates have completed.]

I did 14 Updates with V5 Beta using this "method" but am confident RC should be the same result.
    -------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  7. jackbrennan2008

jackbrennan2008 Registered Member

Just what i was looking for. I've been going insane as to why all my PC's can't update windows :).

I'm moving back to Smart Security 4 until this is solved in a newer version.

8. Nekromantik

Nekromantik Registered Member

how light is this compared to KIS 2012?

9. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Cool! Thank you Cosmo26

10. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Hello,

HIPS picture 1 and 2.

Not appear risk in cloud powered reputation, picture 3.

Attached Files:

11. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

Well you shouldn't have to do that to get windows update fixed.
    Considering the problem was in the beta as well it shouldn't have slipped through.

So this is really beta two rather than rc candidate.

12. Coccinelle

13. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Lol, now i understand why ESET states "this feature is for real geeks"
    most users are confused even when the hips is easy to understand
    anyway remember the product is still in development

14. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Agreed.The product is definitely is still under development.Besides,this is the first HIPS from ESET(I know ESET has HIPS feature in version 4 but it is not functional).Let's give them some time to work it out.

15. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Same as me .That's weird.

Give ESET some time to develops.

Kaspersky developed their HIPS for a long time.Of course they can do better.

Why did you say that?Are you talking about the recent bad news of Avira?

You may change it to "Semi-mode" if I am not mistaken.

16. toxinon12345

HIPS with network filtering is more closer to the concept of a true HIPS, is still present in ESS v5

17. toxinon12345

Hi again, the startup file check is not remediating resident threats in memory, which has been filtered out (undetected) by realtime protection, the startup scan is skipping those files

18. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

To me the main bug still exists and the HIPS is the main bug. The automatic mode will allow everything and the interactive mode will drive you insane in a second, since any innocent windows file will generate a torrent of pop-ups.

To make matter worst if you create some rules in order to deal with those pop-ups the policy mode will block everthing event the regular innocent behaviour from any non-malicious application.

The Eset HIPS reminds me of Comodo Firewall HIPS in its version 3 when it was first released. And Comodo HIPS used to make people looney as well. Please Eset you cannot be serious to realse a Release Candidate in such an unfinished state.

If you do then you will lose a good chunk of your market share since noobs will not be able to use it for the obvious pop-ups reason. Also, even security professionals will avoid your product as a plague because their fingers will be sore with all the nonsense of allow, block, allow block blah blah blah.

There are some security products that are light years ahead of you. Please Eset shape up and I'm saying this not to critisize you but to make you awake from your slumber by giving you my tough love opinion. I've been using your products since version 2 and it's been long while since you release a new version of your flagship products; therefore, obviously I expected more than an annoying HIPS.

Needless to say that I'm very disappointed. Once again Eset shape-up before it is too late, your customers are taking notice and soon they will be leaving.

Thanks. :mad:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  19. toxinon12345

HIPS is still in development and we will see the final stage when the RTM version releases

20. JeremyW

JeremyW Registered Member

You mean 'leaving' I assume...

No, they won't. This is a product in development. Any genuine long term NOD32 user knows the benefits of patience. Eset, IMO, do not adopt the 'bull in a china shop' approach to development and their reputation goes before them.

21. pegr

pegr Registered Member

As I recall, Defense+ in Comodo Firewall 3 generated far more alerts than the ESET HIPS because it was more granular in the way it worked. For each source application, the same type of behaviour could be alerted repeatedly. Each target file, registry key, and target application was added separately to the rule for a source application when building up the policy. It was possible to partially override this by manually editing the rules but it was a pain to do.

Although it is an option with ESET to customise the HIPS rules this way, the default is to create a global rule across all targets, which means that each type of alert will only be displayed once per source application. The ESET HIPS seems like a well-implemented example of a classical HIPS, except for one weakness in the default allow behaviour when creating rules (see the edit below). The HIPS bugs that I noticed in the beta appear to have been fixed in the release candidate.

Without the Learning mode though, a classical HIPS would be unusable for users who don't want to have to deal with the initial alerts while the HIPS is learning the system, but the Learning mode does make it very easy to automatically build the rule set before switching to Interactive or Policy-based mode later. This of course is only of value if the system is clean to start with.

I can't see that Automatic mode with rules is doing very much though. In order to make effective use of the HIPS features, it looks as though the HIPS needs to be run in either Interactive mode or Policy-based mode.

All of this is also true of the firewall in Smart Security so it looks as though ESET have been consistent and followed the same approach with their HIPS.

EDIT: One glaring weakness of the approach ESET have taken is the decision to globally allow each source application to start ANY target application as the default allow behaviour when creating a "Start new application" rule. This is the one situation where the default should be to create the rule just for the specific target application otherwise the ability of a HIPS to function as an anti-executable has been lost. If using Learning mode to create the initial policy, it is advisable to use the rule editor later to manually edit the rules in order to create a default deny policy for untrusted source applications then use Interactive mode to grant execution permission for target applications individually. I found it easier just to use Interactive mode to create the policy and avoid Learning mode completely.

22. CogitoTesting

Try to install any of your regular applications and see what happens. To make matter worst I was testing Eset in my VM with a malware and Eset generated over 125 pop-ups. Eventually I got frustrated and powered off the machine; really a user would spend far more time clicking on Eset pop-ups than to actually enjoying his or her computer. In short I would babysit Eset eternally and the human lifespan is around 80 years. Do you think I can waste my time on Eset like that? No way!

Thanks.

23. CogitoTesting

Ooops, sorry. :D

Thanks.

24. CogitoTesting

Release Candidate is as close as the final stage as you can get and beside such a state is not just still in development. Eset has a huge problem in its hands and it is the HIPS.

Thanks.

25. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

I actually think v5 is good but lets not let a few loyal fanboys peeps above make false claims either!

ESET threw v4 out the door far too soon, it was apparently to make the deadline for that tech show in Vegas!

ESET also have went from 1st Beta to RC for v5 when many feel at least 2 betas were needed!

Again I live and hope they learned by mistakes in v4 but the "Windows Update" issue shows me they sometimes do not as that is the 3rd time now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.