ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security 5 Release Candidate available

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Marcos, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I think an option for just allow upgrades to a new module build would be great when changing update type.

The default is replacing the modules when changing the update type (new, old or even the same module is downloaded).

I want automatic update type switching
    (from regular to pre-release AND from pre-release to regular),
    depending if a new module build is found in the release or pre-release servers.
    See
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=305520

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. Ego_Dekker

Ego_Dekker Registered Member

Please, add hyphenation and remove the second column because of useless (pic №2).
    no_hyphenation_2.png

no_hyphenation_1.png

3. alan1476

alan1476 Registered Member

Any idea of release date of the Final V5 for sale?

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you have the opton to notify about changes in startup keys enabled by chance in the advanced HIPS setup? It's disabled by default.

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

O.K. Thanks.

7. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

It is probably a little late to ask this, and it most likely has been asked before, but I am still going to ask it.

In the ThreatSense engine parameter setup, under Options, there is the option called "Advanced heuristics/DNA/Smart signatures". In version 4 and earlier this was just called "Advanced heuristics", and was the option to enable/disable emulation and advanced code analysis if I remember right. What exactly has changed, are DNA and smart signatures brand new technologies, or is this just a change of name? If these are new technologies, what do they really do?

8. BojanKing

BojanKing Registered Member

I would like to be asked what to do, whenever ESET detects something instead of automaticly sending it to quarantine. So it would be a lot easier to enable/disable this with one click instead of setting this for Real-time, email, web access, on-demand protection... separately. Please consider putting this option in future. I think there is such a option in bitdefender called auto pilot.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Next to my previous question (post 257) I have got another question for Marcos.
    Have you guys yet identified what is causing the window position/size issue and will this be fixed in the final version? Although it is a minor bug it can be pretty annoying.

Next to that, I see EAV and ESS both share the same text in the GUI - Tools section.
    If are using EAV and you are in the tools section. You see "Protection statistics" - "Threat and spam statistics" although EAV doesn't have antispam.
    Another one is "Watch activity" - "File system, network activity", however EAV doesn't have the firewall so you can't watch the network activity.
    It might give users a feeling there is something wrong with their installation. Since they can't see what is promised they can see.

10. toxinon12345

They should change that to "Statistics", as you can see not only object classification for blocked threats (protection), but for found threats/spam (detection), and actions performed (threat cleaning/spam isolation).

The "infected objects" would show just the non-cleaned objects.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  11. xan K

xan K Registered Member

Totally agree! Even if it's a "minor" bug, it's a very inconvenient and ugly one and would annoy a lot of people. It really should not ship in final.

12. piranha

piranha Registered Member

I already askek this question, see here...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=303436

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Just about to install the RC. Windows 7 machine x32 here. Anything crazy I should be aware of? Also, are the default settings fine or do I need to tweak things a bit to tighten up security a bit more?

Thanks!

14. piranha

Default settings are ok. Just need to ask yourself what setting you want for new protection, as removable media. Last time i read about it, game mode dont work for now.

15. Trooper

I installed with defaults. Want to drill down on it a bit more. If its good I will most likely ditch my current product and keep Eset both at home (which I planned to anyways) and at work as well.

16. toxinon12345

If you have a dual core CPU, you can enable advanced heuristics together with runtime packers in the realtime filesystem protection.

17. Trooper

Thanks will give that a go!

Cheers.

18. xan K

xan K Registered Member

Wouldn't it slow the system down drastically? I haven't tried it, but I've read somewhere about it.

19. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It depends on the files you have and use so try it yourself to see. With v5, it is likely that a possible initial slowdown will disappear after a short time when the cache gets populated with cloud info about scanned files.

20. Trooper

Thanks for this post Marcos. I just enabled them here so will see how it goes.

Cheers.

21. piranha

with v4, in advanced options of reat-time protection, adv heur is enable by defaut for new or open files including (by default) runtime packer. Here, it was useless to add adv heur all the time.

Advanced scan options
    More detailed setup options can be found under Antivirus and antispyware > Real‑time system protection > Advanced setup. Additional ThreatSense parameters for newly created and modified files – The probability of infection in newly‑created or modified files is comparatively higher than in existing files. That is why the program checks these files with additional scanning parameters. Along with common signature‑based scanning methods, advanced heuristics are used, which greatly improves detection rates. In addition to newly‑created files, scanning is also performed on self‑extracting files (.sfx) and runtime packers (internally compressed executable files). By default, archives are scanned up to the 10th nesting level and are checked regardless of their actual size. To modify archive scan settings, deselect the Default archive scan settings option.
    (from v4.2 Help files)

And by Enabling Smart optimization, "files which have already been scanned are not scanned repeatedly (unless they have been modified). Files are scanned again immediately after each virus signature database update." (see V4 help files for Smart Optimization) That reduce the use of Adv Heuristics.

in v5, settings are different. No advanced options for real-time file system protection here and, in setup, runtime packer is not checked in "Objects". Why ? Do Smart Optimization still exist ?? Cant find it in v5 help files.

May be Cloud Powered Reputation replaces Smart Optimization ??

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  22. Trooper

Is there a sticky anymore on how to setup a scan (I think deep scan I would guess) to scan my pc a few times per week. I used to know NOD32 inside and out and its been awhile.

I will poke around the gui but just looking for some quick bullet points to ensure Im scanning what I want to be scanned. This is for the new v5 RC.

Also, does a user need to be logged on in order for the scan to be run? Or can it be at control alt delete?

Thanks in advance.

23. piranha

in V5 Custom Scan, yes we still have the choice of In-Depth scan

24. Trooper

Nevermind, got it sorted.

Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  25. piranha

sorry, i am not sure to understand your answer... (i am french speaking)

do you mean scheduled task for scan ? with v5 we can still scheduled scan too

You can try and test v5 RC. Install it alone (remove v4) or over your current v4

http://www.eset.eu/download/release-candidate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.