ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security 5 beta available

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Marcos, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

1. anyone tried repair capability on infected files ? it seems Realtime Scanner cant repair infected file ('error while cleaning' and then delete the infected files) as OnDemand scan does.
    2. Based on Known Issues :
    Cannot apply an action to multiple files in the list of threats found during a scan.

Issue Description: During the On-demand scan, in case of found infiltrations while setting an action from context menu for one or more rows, no action will be selected or changed.

this only GUI error. if you select action on multiple files it wont change the action on each file but the action actually works fine on selected files (and scan result will show this action result). :D

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

automatic filtering is perfect for mort users
    HIPS was included in v4, now has been improved for preventing malicious behavior coming from local media, not only from networks, internet, etc
    emulation of suspicious files is done by advanced heuristics, thanks to that, detection levels are higher
    web content filtering (a basic form of parental control) is present in v3/v4

3. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Not quite as light as v4 IMO. Maybe the HIPS checking processes is adding slight overhead to the CPU cycles. Can’t complain though, still the lightest out there (yes, lighter than Avast).

Personally I’m glad ESET kept it light and didn’t become another bloated AV. Some people just want a simple but powerful and light AV and that’s what you get with ESET. Pair this with Sandboxie properly configured (ie, Internet and Start/Run restrictions and DropRights) and outbound control in you firewall and your system is virtually as secure as Fort Knox.

4. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Just installed it. And works pretty smooth and fast. Congrats

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Since the engine is same for v3/v4/v5, cleaning of files infected by viruses (file infectors) is same. If a file infected, let's say, by Win32/Sality.NBC and cannot be cleaned it's highly unlikely that v3/v4 would be able to clean it. If you have such files, simply send a couple of them to ESET as per the instructions here.

6. cupez80

ive double check with v.4 and can clean them(realtime / on-demand). v.5 beta can clean them if i use on-demand scan but not on realtime scanner.

7. Marcos

Please submit the files to ESET as per the instructions here and enclose a link to your post here as well.

8. cupez80

done! sent to samples[AT]eset.com.

9. vajlent

vajlent Registered Member

And here we go again with the firewall problem...
    This happens EVERY time i've tried to install ESS!
    Capture.PNG

Note: i've done as this article says;
    That doesn't work either due permisson reasons, so I can't delete the entries.

What is wrong here!?!

10. Marcos

Doesn't it work in safe mode either? Maybe you could first use the Uninstall tool and remove the leftovers in safe mode prior to doing a fresh installation of the beta. Should the problem persist, please fill in either the internal beta form or the web form so that our customer care representatives can contact you and help you tackle the issue. They should request a SysInspector from you which will show what other drivers and software you have installed that might interfere with ESS. Also mention if you had EAV/ESS or other security software installed before. I assume that ESET NOD32 Antivirus can be installed fine and there's only a problem with registering the ESET NDIS driver to the system.

11. Marcos

Thank you for reporting this, there really seems to be a problem cleaning these infected files using the v5 real-time protection. We'll investigate it further and make a fix if it turns out to be an actual bug.

12. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

I read this thread and realize that some may like the HIPS and some may not.I suggest that ESET can provide us an option to choose whether to enable or disable the HIPS feature during the installation.It is just like every time when you installing ESET,it requests you to choose whether you want to enable or disable the PUP during the installation.Hope all of you understand my bad English.Thanks.

13. Marcos

I, for one, don't think it's a good idea to give users the option to disable self-defense during installation. This should be done only in very specific cases when there's an interference with other drivers.

14. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

15. yongsua

ESET can separate between self-defense module and HIPS module.May I know why not?

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  16. vajlent

How do i get a beta key?
    Mine says it expired 1970 :D
    I didn't get an option to choose how to activate during the install...o_O

17. cupez80

i hope it will be fixed soon :D

18. Marcos

Self-defense is part of HIPS. It's like if you wanted to use advanced heuristics without loading the engine.

19. Marcos

Did you have an ESET's product installed previously? Have you tried running the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode and doing a fresh installation of the beta?

20. vajlent

Yes i hade v.4 before.
    And i just did a fresh install!

21. yongsua

I see.:)

22. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

In comparison to ESS4 the Smart scan is quite some slower. Maybe the scan profiles changed, since it also scans more files if I remember correctly?
    I performed two now, and the avg scan time was 41:45 where as version 4 did a Smart scan in around 33:30.

On another pc I tried to install 5 beta over 4.2, in the end it couldn't activate Web access protection (also the ThreatSense parameter setup for this protection was unavailable in the advanced setup tree). Restarting, repairing installation didn't solve the problem. Only way to solve it was performing a clean installation. I have seen more users reporting problems like this. So it seems that the upgrading from earlier versions is quite buggy. I don't know if it matters, but maybe the problem is that I tried to install the English beta over a Dutch 4.2?

23. yongsua

I think Marcos probably needs to informs users in his first post of this thread to use uninstaller tool to uninstall the previous version then install the BETA version.

24. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I did that on my main pc. However a normal uninstall of version 4 and a normal install of 5 beta should also work.
    Just the problem is that upgrading (installing over version 4) isn't flawless.

25. yongsua

But anyway,CLEAN INSTALL is the best solution?correct me if I am wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.