ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security 5 beta available

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Marcos, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denis

denis Registered Member

problem is gone.;)

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thanks for the screenshot to both of u

3. ESS474

ESS474 Registered Member

Agree really nothing new and 80% of users will disable the HIPS and GUI looks like made for children.

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

True. The HIPS is too complicated for the average user. It's even complicated for some of us.

5. Lucius

Lucius Registered Member

Honestly, I've to fully agree with you.

This is what we all waited for so long? Really.. When I installed it, I was like.. ... ... ... :( GUI is so - childish.

But okay, it works good and is so light. Plays nice together with outpost firewall, no probs. Only problem is with nod32 game mode, when I put it to automatic it enables and disables game mode even I'm not running anything.. So manually then. I'm gonna keep nod32 for now, maybe day.. two.. who knows.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Bumping

7. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Well you are indeed entitled to your opinion, but just for the record I just got through driving the Avast free edition and found it to be very annoying with all the poop-ups and female voices letting me know things were done. Seemed to be a computer hog, IMO.

Like the new NOD beta too, btw. :cool:

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can always switch to a non-graphic interface by pressing Ctlr+G if you don't like the graphics. There will always be some people who dislike it and people who find it great. There's no such graphics that would make every single user satisfied.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I totally agree Pat, and my thoughts are not meant to sway anyone. Eset is a great product, but I guess I expected more. A long time for what to me, appears not alot of extra new innovation.

But it is obvious quite a few like it and in time, well that is the real test.

Hey I got one more beta coming soon hopefully and this one better not let me down.;)

10. Lucius

Lucius Registered Member

It was just my opinion ;) Of course there is people who like it right away and people who need some time to.. Some may never like it but I hope I don't belong those :D

It's a great product, very light, system start up is amazing fast and it seems to be effective too (did a small test).

11. firzen771

i really like ESET and ill probably try out this beta but i just find it hard to justify using ESET wen u consider its price for what you get. there are many free alternatives that provide about everything ESET NOD32 AV has, like avast just for example and the only reason im using the IS version is because i got it for about $20 and wanted the included firewall.

perhaps ESET should reconsider its prices or like some other vendors, look into a Wilders discount to attract new customers who are pushed away by the price.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Eset isnt alone with their price range. I think quite a few are going to have to rethink this because of MSE and Avast. Actually for 4 computers Eset has a price I feel is fine. Oh hell, maybe this new version will grow on me. I dont like HIPS though. I cant decipher anything.:doubt:

Prevx needs to look at their pricing structure. At least Avira finally listened, for now.

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So you feel that the free version of Avast is better than Eset?

14. firzen771

not necessarily, just looking at what each offers, its about even so its hard to see justification to spend the amount ESET costs every year

15. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

The new Beta Rocks.
    I love it.
    This i need it.
    HIPS+Antivirus+Windows Firewall.(Eset Nod32 version 5)
    The GUI is very clean....and Eset is so light.

16. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I understand what you're saying and agree. I hope Eset can kick it up a notch. My license expires in September and I've been with Eset for years and would like to stay with them. ;)

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Mine is gone too. :thumb:

I usually do clean installs, but when it was possible to do it on-top I tried, but it failed.

After that I did a complete uninstall, and a fresh install.
    And WOW all I can say is this is very very light just as version 4.2. And the GUI is as great as usual. Simple, easy to understand (childish some say?) well we better have GUI that we understand so we don't need to ask around where is this option, where is that etc..:isay:

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

But what did you expect exactly? What are you missing? :doubt:
    And if you look at Marcos post it's not so few new features really, it's quite many.

I mean did you expect a whole new technology or something?
    No offense I'm just curious and wondering :)

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

My friend, I really dont know. I dont like HIPS because I never understand what it is saying to me but asking me to decide to allow or not. Total turn off. My software should know. Maybe I expected a Sandbox because they do work. Maybe it is something as a new tray icon. Theirs could use a tad of neon in it. But this version will be here for quite awhile and parental controls are totally useless even to the layman as there are so many new alternatives.

In the end, this may turn out a winner, hey, I never said I am a expert or even a good critic. But I saw this as Esets one shot to really make a big hit to put it back on top where it belongs. In my viewpoint they failed. But that is only one mans thoughts.

Anyway, there is a beta coming that will literally, "ROCK YOUR SOCKS" ;)

But Eset knows a lot more about what they are doing then I do, and my reaction is just a first impression. I have a licence for 4 computers good till 1/5/2012 and I am sure will get reloaded in time. Dont punish me me for being honest because I admit, I may be wrong in time to, peace my friend.

20. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

What if you answer incorrectly to an HIPS prompt? How is responding to a HIPS prompt regarding the Control Panel going to defend me against a zero day malware?? How is responding to a HIPS prompt regarding opening Firefox going to protect me against a new piece of malware?? The most important part of HIPS, an anti-executable, is missing.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

IMO we haven't yet seen how the HIPS will respond to different scenarios.
    It was released today remember :)

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Just so you know I am not a HIPS fan, nor a Sandbox fan myself :)

But thank god this HIPS is much much more silent than a ordinary classic HIPS.
    I still haven't seen a popup BTW.

Plus this BETA was released today so things will of course change a little during the BETA period.

And Yes I am sure that you will try out the BETA at some point. ;)

23. firzen771

is there a particular approximate time frame for this beta, or is it an "until its ready" beta?

24. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I like the new gui, its simple, clear, stylish and easy on the eyes. The right click popup on the system tray is nice and useful too. I think the gui is more responsive now and faster/lighter. :thumb:
    ----
    Gaming mode gets enabled while selecting desktop shortcuts here (Win7). I have it set to automatically on full screen apps.

25. trial and error

trial and error Registered Member

I set the HIPS to interactive right after install; it did bug me for a lot of win7 x64 functions at first. Surprise to me was that it didn't prompt me when i ran CleanMem_2.1.1 from another drive.
    Stable so far, thank you ESET I expected that from you.
    The gui is not my style ... but it's light on resources so :D.
    Saw a lot more ads in my modded incognito chromium 13.0.757 and IE9, Hosts mvps took some off of IE9 though. I'll check and see if fanboy can help with chrome later.
    Right out of the gate I like it, locked-down Full Scan was fast.
    Could there be a way to save the password for the current session?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.