ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security 5 beta available

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Marcos, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

It's there.

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Not really sure, a lot of ESET users don't want a chatty HIPS, in my eyes the Automatic mode with exceptions should be as silent as possible.

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Don't you think if a new piece of malware, currently not detected by Eset, is trying to run on your computer, you would want to know? Any decent HIPS has this property.

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Well, now the ThreatSense.Net is also more involved in collecting reputation data later you could use the reputation data as whitelist and then enable more advanced HIPS options by default.

5. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

If I can't have an anti-executable, I'd rather have a behavior blocker. I don't see the current HIPS providing additional protection.

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I think it is too early to conclude that, let's see if Marcos or an other ESET employee will give some more detail about how the HIPS in automatice mode actually works in the real world.

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Is the default installation and settings good enough for pretty strong protection?

Also, is there a way to setup scheduled scans and updates?

Thanks in advance.

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

this seems the feedback thread for v5. just saw some screenies of v5,
    please revert to a more sophisticated gui - not that <blingbling> one.

9. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Or perhaps some one could run undetected malware in VMs and see how it behaves? :D :D

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

After install over existing version, I made restart (as recommended) and when the desktop showed up I got a notification saying something needs my attention. I clicked the pop-up and It say that the Web.Access protection is "Non-functional" and the settings tab in the setup-tree is greyd-out /non-clickable.

This is on XP Home SP3 Fully Updated. :(

Should I try a clean install to see if the problem goes away?

Also when I changed the Firewall from Policy-mode to Interactive, the GUI freeze when I clicked the OK/Apply button. So I did a restart and after the restart the GUI said that the Firewall was now set to Interactive.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hmm where do you see that bling-bling? Considering it is very similar to the Ver 4.2 GUI IMO :doubt:

12. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

Great so far!
    Installed over v4 with no problems.
    I had a couple glitches with 'spam module' and 'hips' but did a 'repair re-install' and it is now all working.
    Thanks ESET, seems to be light on my system as the v4.

KOR-

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

The default options offer good protection, for most users there is no reason to change settings in the advanced setup tree. However for more advanced users who do wan't to finetune the performance of ESET (certainly now with the HIPS) there are really granular controls.

You don't have to schedule updates, by default there are already two scheduled tasks for updating:
    1. on dial up connection to the Internet;
    2. after that, every 60 minutes it will check for updates.

For scheduling scans: Tools -> Scheduler -> Add -> Choose the On-demand computer scan category and follow the rest of the instructions.

14. denis

denis Registered Member

i have the same problem as Swex, but on a 64 windows 7.:doubt:

15. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

could you please post the screenies for hips controls?

16. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Impressions/Questions after a quick look (mainly HIPS):
    - does HIPS control rundll32.exe based on the library its running or the rundll32.exe itself? (in other words, would HIPS detect conficker vmx with HIPS (without sigs) or allow it because rundll32.exe is a trusted app)

- does HIPS control scripts/bat's based on the .bat/.vbs etc. file information or host application (cmd.exe, wscript.exe) themselves; if not, will cmd.exe be restricted intentionally despite it being a safe app?

So far, I don't see modules being treated independently from their host application/interpreter that is running them. (instead of rundll32.exe I want to see the .dll that is "behind its actions")
    ess1.PNG

Complaints:
    HIPS UI is a mess. For starters, please show lists based on specific applications and not rules for said apps. I.E I want one entry for CCleaner, not as many as there are rules for CCleaner.
    ess2.PNG

There is no listing (that I can find) on already existing registry/filesystem ruleset. How do I know if I add a rule that an already existing one that is the same as my added rule is present, or when I want a certain predefined rule removed?

Adding registry rules is clumsy. Why not have a builtin registry viewer from which you can add rules based on regkeys instead of having to manually open regedit (navigate to key) copy the path from regedit and paste it in HIPS rule.
    ess3.PNG
    And I certainly hope the whitelist is going to work properly in the final as this is pretty annoying to run in Interactive mode.

17. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Although performing a clean reinstall of the beta will probably solve the problems SweX and denis are experiencing, I think it is the best to report those problems to ESET so they can try to solve them for the next beta release.

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

If this version would have included a classic HIPS then I would have stopped using ESET.

Why don't you just install a anti-executable from another vendor along with NOD32 instead? If you really want to see the pop-ups.

As for the behavior-blocker, this version does have a behavior-analyzer.
    Wich is checking running processes AFAIK :)

19. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

This looks nice, is it stable enough to use on the real machine? :)

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I will do an uninstall right now, and then a fresh new install and report back if the errors are gone.

BTW did you install on-top, or clean new install?

21. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

@SweX
    I always do clean installs for major updates for all software (except Google Chrome).

@Spruce
    I am using it on my main pc, didn't encounter any issues yet.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well I am disappointed. Based on just the infrequency that Eset releases new software you might have thought they would have brought more then this.

I told some folks that I knew they would tried to rebadge Threatsense into their Cloud Politically Correct module. And they did. The HIPS is nice but I just dont see much new here. New paint job same old car. I hope I am wong but personally Avast Free offers more then this paid product. Oh well, just my 2 cents and my last license with them.

23. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thanks so much. Worked like a charm.

24. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

You do realize that the cloud implementation is more than threatsense.net right? It even speeds up the scanning speed of the software, and improves overal detection.

25. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I don't want to see the pop-ups. That's the point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.