ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security 5 beta available

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Marcos, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ugly

ugly Registered Member

In my case is a BSOD on Win7 Ultimate 32b SP1 shutdown.

2. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Noticed some activity from the HIPS in the logs, there's some hidden rules there, just to inform confused users ;)

3. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

You refer to Self-Defense rules already existing in previous Releases o_O

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Is anyone else here using Returnil Virutal System Pro 2011 with ESS 5 beta? After installing RVS I attempted to enable Virtual System Mode, and the progress bar showed activity as though it was enabling Virtual system mode. Ten minutes later the progress bar was still going, and RVS still had not enabled Virtual System Mode. My PC then frooze up, and I had to do a hard shut down. This happened over, and over again. Each time I attempted to enable Virtual System Mode my computer would freeze up. The last time I did a hard shutdown the RVS progress bar was still running like it was in the process of enabling Virtual System. After I rebooted RVS GUI would not appear, and the RVS tray icon was missing. I attempted to open the RVS GUI from programs, but it would no longer load or appear. Within a few minutes after booting to the desktop windows (XP Pro) would stop responding. I then found out my system had gone into Virtual Sytem Mode after my last hard shutdown. The problem now was that I was unable to disable Virtual System Mode due to no longer being able to access the RVS GUI. I would click on the icon in the programs menu, but it would not respond. Within maybe 2 to 3 minutes my system would stop responding. I was unable to make any changes from here on due to being locked into Virtual System Mode with not way of disabling it. I believe the conflict started during the initial installation of RVS 2011 due to the new HIPS feature. I attempted to disable ESS's HIPS feature during the installation, but it informed me I had to reboot windows for it to take effect. It was too late at this point since I had already began the installation process for RVS. I would very strongly recommend that Eset adds an installation mode to the new HIPS feature. IS anyone else having any conflicts between RVS 2011, and ESS 5 beta? I couldn't just roll back the image with Acronis since RVS would not allow any changes to take place. Since my computer was stuck in Virtual System Mode I had to reformat my drive. I'm using XP Pro SP3.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  5. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

No, it's in the new(?) HIPS log, which I can't remeber seen before and does not only refer to ESET processes etc.

6. toxinon12345

im confused. Please add a screen shot or paste the HIPS log here

7. toxinon12345

please leave a single rule for RVS processes allowing all operation in files, applications, registry

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Is there going to be an installation mode added to the HIPS or is the user expected to reboot their machine in order to disable the HIPS each time they need to install some software? Is there another recommendation for how to use ESS 5 when installing new software? I usually run HIPS in interactive mode. Its easy to forget to disable the HIPS, and start installing some software. Then it may be too late to disable the HIPS if you have already started the installation process. So then you find yourself answering prompt after prompt from the HIPS feature hoping that everything goes ok with the installation. If not then you end up with a corrupt installation. I think this may have been the problem with RVS, but I could be wrong. I forgot to disable the HIPS when I began the installation of RVS. I was prompted too death, and could not disable the HIPS since it required a reboot. Just a recommendation. Add an installation mode to the HIPS. Eset users will love you for it :)

9. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

10. mobiclue

mobiclue Registered Member

So I just installed ESET Smart security 5 beta, and I am pretty happy with the overall performance. The heuristic part is working great, but I found a few false positives. It classified system mechanic and Speedupmypc as memory resident malware. One feature I am missing Smart Security 5 is an ad/banner blocker.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I believe these are not FPs and both are detected as potentially unwanted applications for a reason.

12. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

Oh no. Plz do not implement something like that!!!

There are more than enough good AdBlocker out there. We need no bloatware!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  13. toxinon12345

This will not ocurr :D

14. vigen

vigen Registered Member

I confirm the FP of System Mechanic, He was not detected in PUA, but as a thread...Since five or six month Eset make many FP...

http://www.av-comparatives.org

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  15. volvic

volvic Registered Member

why is alpha material being paraded as beta software?

16. volvic

volvic Registered Member

seem to be a lot of FPs according to this review

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  17. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

What? :rolleyes:

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

LOL. o_O IMO this is more of an RC than a BETA actually!

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Not a RC. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well, that's what you think yes.
    But I think what I said based on my experience so far.

21. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Its a BETA build end of story!

Says it above and calling it otherwise is pointless.

I have no real issues after a clean install as I got same glitches many reported when doing over install method.

Two things I need to look at!

1) A Windows service asking to connect and I accepted the rule but got an error about not being able to configure the firewall.

I need to find this message again so I can see what it is and how to amend it.

2) I keep getting warning about a port scan from 58.218.199.147:12200 so need tell it not to bother me with that IP again if and when I find out its innocent.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  22. DaveTomneyUK

DaveTomneyUK Registered Member

Re: ESET Smart Security 5 beta available

ESET Smart Security 5 : Noticed for me when I load a game called World of Warcraft in full screen mode it does not automatically go into gaming mode.

23. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

They should set it to look for 3D activity same as Riva Tuners Statistics server does and which is part of EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner!

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

will the HIPS rules added by eset be visible by the user?

25. tuntun

tuntun Registered Member

When will this ver5 be official launch? estimated time?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.