Eset Mail Security for Exchange crashes Win SBS2008

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Sentico, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentico

Sentico Registered Member

Hi,

This weekend I planned for a migration of SBS2003 to a new server with SBS2008 (64bits).
    After installing Eset Mail Security For Exchange 4.2.10016.0 the server (a Dell PowerEdge R710 with 2 Intel Xeons) started to crash a few times a day (2~3).

I did an analysis of the memory.dmp file created by Windows with the Windows debugger and this tool points to the eamonm.sys file to be responsible for the crashes. Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

I have the dump file standing by if that's required.

Thanks in advance.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I have 4.2 in a few of my clients SBS03 and SBS08 boxes now. No problems.
    What have you done for exclusions?

3. Sentico

I have 4.2 running on a SBS2003 box also without any problems. It's 4.2 on this new SBS2008 that's problematic. I've excluded the Exchange log and database store folders from the scan.
    The box is running without AV now for 2 full days (after deinstalling 4.2) and we've had no more crashes, so I'm confident Eset was the source of the crashes.
    Could exclusions be the source of Eset crashing Windows? Any other ideas?

4. YeOldeStonecat

So you've only excluded those 2x Exchange related folders, that's it? :eek:
    SBS is also a DC, plus it runs IIS, Sharepoint, WSUS...you have a lot more exclusions to get in there. Even back with version 2.7, on SBS boxes I had nearly 20x folders which I would exclude...you have your important DC related directories, NTDS, ntfrs, sysvol, and have your infrastructure related directories like DNS, DHCP, WINS, etc etc etc. SBS03 or SBS08...still have those important directories. I always do that regardless of what AV brand I'm installing on a server.
    Here's a quick bookmark of a list for sbs03. 08 is quite similar.

PLUS..even going back to version 2.7, I'd set the file extensions to scan down to the default set instead of "all files"..for real time protection.

And in the Exchange component, I disable background scanning.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please upload the dump somewhere and PM me the link so that we can analyze it?

6. Sentico

Thanks for the extra information. I've found two documents from Microsoft describing the files / folders to exclude on Server 2008 and Exchange 2007:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;822158&x=14&y=17
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332342(EXCHG.80).aspx

Do you have any more recommendations on files to be excluded?

I also sent the link to the Memory.dmp file to Marcos to see what they come up with.

7. YeOldeStonecat

I basically follow a list like this
    http://alpesinfo.com/sbs-antivirus-exclusions

8. Sentico

A quick update. Marcos analysed the memory dump file and suggested that it may be a conflict with Backup Exec 2010. I'm unable to test this, because I cannot tolerate a few days without backups.

@YeOldeStonecat: You mentioned you're running SBS08 on a few boxes. Any of these boxes have Backup Exec?

9. VirtualMIS

VirtualMIS Registered Member

I installed the latest version of ESET Mail Security for Exchange on an SBS 2008 server and it started randomly locking up. I double checked exclusions and have excluded everything that was recommended. I uninstalled Mail Security and the server has run fine ever since.

We are NOT running Backup Exec so this suggests that BE, as troublesome as it can be, is not the source of the problem.

10. Sentico

Thank you for your update to this problem.

This suggest that there is a real problem with ESMX and SBS08 as you excluded the suggested causes (wrong excludes or a conflict with BE).

Hope there will be a fix soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.