ESET Internet Security 10 Beta / ESET NOD32 Antivirus 10 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SweX, Apr 20, 2016.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Mostly no as the UI was new for v9. I think some folks are confused as to what they can post about too. The beta is public, but I've seen folks on other forums post pics of things that are under NDA, don't do it.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK I see. I saw some screenshots on another forum, but couldn't access them because it was only open to members, I hate that stuff. :thumbd:

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I used ESS 10 for 2 days about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and it was running ok. I submitted 3 bugs reports. I had some of the same problems with ESS 10 as i'm currently having with ESS9. The GUI would not launch until about a minute after the desktop had loaded. I first started having this problem when I upgraded to ESS9 from ESS8. I hope they will be able to fix this issue because some applications were attempting, or making outbound internet access when I had the firewall in Interactive Mode without prompting me. My main concern is applications without rules are being allowed, or blocked before the GUI launches. I know packet filtering should not depend on the GUI, but I did not receive any prompt for AppGuard when it conducted it's license check about 35 seconds after the desktop loaded. I had no rule for the licensequeryapp, and I was in Interactive mode. The user can not be prompted for internet request, or receive threat alerts until the GUI runs. The GUI launching a minute after the desktop loads can't be expected behavior.

I can't say what the other two bugs reports were without giving away new features. I think over all the alpha is running good, and better than expected for an early alpha stage release. I think the problem with the GUI launching delayed is probably specific to my setup. As I already stated the problem started with ESS9. I have been informed by Blue Ridge Networks that AppGuard uses the same thread as Eset at first launch so their is a slight conflict. Eset was using the thread first though so it should cause AG to run delayed instead of Eset. I have uninstalled AG though, and I still get the delay so i'm not sure what's going on. Eset says ekrn.exe launches egui.exe (Eset GUI), and there's no startup item for it. Has anyone else experienced a long delay before egui.exe will launch?

4. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

ESET is my only antivirus since 2013.

I think I will give it a try. I tried the beta of Version 8 with no problems.

Thanks

5. LittleDude

LittleDude Registered Member

Cutting_Edgetech I'm running ESS9 but I cannot run WinAntiRansom because it blocks/suspends ESET's GUI. Not sure if this applies to your problem but I thought I would mention it.

6. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I installed ESET Internet Security v10 inside VirtualBox for ransomware testing.

After updated, I disabled Advanced Memory Scanner and disconnected from the Internet.
    Then I ran a ransomware sample, no detection in a 10 minutes period; but when restablished the connection I saw a notification stating a variant of Filecoder.TorrentLocker was cleaned.
    Very nice!

7. Infected

Infected Registered Member

how long can you use the beta before it expires?

8. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

I believe the 'beta license' lasts until October.

9. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Thanks for testing. this is sounding promising :)

10. Infected

Infected Registered Member

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm quite familiar with version 8 of Smart Security.

Any real improvements/features in this version ?

12. toxinon12345

Some differences between v8 & v10:

√ Banking and Payment protection
    √ Dynamic documentation
    √ Redesigned User Interface
    √ Firewall troubleshooting wizard
    √ Script-based attack protection
    √ Home network protection
    √ Network signatures
    √ Webcam protection

Other protection changes also are implemented on the vendor side by use of LiveGrid

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I did find the GUI of version 9 quite annoying. How is this one ?

14. toxinon12345

I find the white scheme is turning me blind, but anyway is the smartest GUI I have ever seen, mainly due to the notification system and the lights for the switches. Just annoying is when you have to create rules in Advanced setup, but I think this is due to the fact the GUI is also for touch interfaces, anyway that means just advanced users have to modify those settings.

I love the fact they are NOT becoming bloatware, even if they add more features you will see the Definition updates are the smallest (until ~ 80 MB a cumulative update), the performance has not changed: it is still the lightweight and fast security app which you already know, Personally I tested in machines with DualCore, at least.

Threats landscape has evolved and so the default settings to Advanced heuristics on Execution + LiveGrid lookups. If you see in the March 2015 | behavioral test of AV-Comparatives it is placed in the Advanced+ cluster, and in November 2008 it was the only one product in the Advanced+ behavioral cluster.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  15. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

I really like the GUI of version 9, it is easy to use, modern and fast. I dont think it is necessary to change again, it is already nice from the usability point.

IMO vendors should focus on core features instead of change GUI every year. (thats why I like Emsisoft and Eset so much)

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Installed on a WIN 10 laptop, version 1511, build-10586.218. Splash screen and tray icon took over 4 minutes to appear after the desktop loaded and general performance was not good. Uninstalled.

More like an alpha version here or it's not happy with my build number.

17. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

For now Windows 10 compatibility is only for build 10074, very alpha release and thats why I didnt install yet.
    I think it is better to wait a more finished build ...

18. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Thanks for giving me a heads up! I'm not running WAR with Eset, but I think there a problem with Eset's GUI loading really delayed with a few other products around Wilders. I hope they take my report seriously.

19. LittleDude

Since my last post the issue with ESET's UI not loading with WAR has been resolved :)

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

anyone else having any issues being able to add exclusions to the list for web sites? i cant add any exclusions i type it in properly like *.xxxxx/* and i click add it does nothing does not actually add it to the list. and i dont see any other way to do it.

posted this on their forum but want to make sure its not just this system.

21. itman

itman Registered Member

Try adding http:// or if SSL protocol scanning is enabled, https:// prefix and see if that works.

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

thats not the issue the problem is when i click ok after entering it in the line the box flickers for a second and it does nothing, it does not add it at all and i can click the ok button 50 times if i want and it does not add anything to the list. also after clicking once the i symbol for "info" next to the line goes away also.

23. LittleDude

I couldn't add exclusions to the list for web sites either. I'm not sure if "Clear update cache" is working correctly...I disable the update feature also but 70mb of backups remained.
    Definition updates seemed sluggish also. I only tested it for 10 minutes before restoring ESS 9 so not a very thorough test.

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've been running the beta of EIS since late last week. Very impressed so far for a beta. Very smooth and light. :thumb:

25. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

so unlike v9 this new version adds something useful.

I wish they stopped making https scanning mandatory tho to avoid alerts.

I may test this on my old laptop which I am testing stuff on.

I am hoping the following issues are fixed.

slow GUI introduced with v9
    GUI too large introduced with v9, needs a DPI setting or default size smaller.
    Broken cloud lookups on file scanning (fails cloud test, some disagree with me if this is actually a failure, but I compare behaviour to other products with cloud scanning).
    Glitchy HIPS system, a couple of times in v8 I have had to reboot because eset GUI crashes when accessing HIPS ruleset, and some rule changes also require a reboot to kick in.

I observed avast can scan https traffic without inserting a intermediate certificate or breaking the TLS protocol unlike the horrible way eset are doing it, I will test tho to see if http/https scanning is improved in v10, on v8 http scanning slows down page loading noticebly (pages appear in chunks instead of one large chunk) and https scanning breaks TLS security guidelines. For me cloud/http(s) scanning is nod32's Achilles heel.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.