ESET FS4WFS - Which ERA, or, RAS/Console versions?

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by Cosmo32, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

After many months of asking which files constitute either V5 a/v (BE), or, Endpoint a/v V?, I rcvd many confusing answers; none of which really worked. Many here suggested I try Eset FS4WFS. OK! I have this code (v4.5.12005.0) running on my server 2 weeks. It works fine. I feel protected.

Now, I'd like to create my Mirror and start focusing my PC clients to my server for their normal vdef updates. So,.......
    ...... what other code do I have to load on my server to enable this? :doubt:
    There are just too many versions of ESET SW running around ATM. Confusing.:(

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

3. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

dwomack,

Thank you for your share. I will read/print your share for my future install. As I read your share, I am required (step III) to 'push' installation of the v.? a/v code to my selected clients. Do I read your share properly?

{history} I really like to pre-install my PC clients with their a/v sw first prior to bringing them into the 'fold', by updating their 'pointers' post install. This is how I did the V2 BE ESET code of 2006. I have never had any success with any type of 'push' install from my server's ESET a/v code loaded. Yes, I am scared of this (step III.). But, I will try it anyway per your share.

Lastly, will this new install of 'whatever' coalesce properly with my currently installed EFSMWS a/v code (v4.5.12005.0) on my server now?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
  4. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

@dwomack,
    Might you address my last 2 questions before I get into install of my server with its' new ERAC code?

NO! My server does NOT act as a domain controller. I do not run AD, SQL, or IIS. My server operates as just another PC client running Win2003 Server OS with SP2. It has been running 24/7 since install.

Utility app code installed: ReadyNAS RAIDar v4.3.4, Neotrace v3.25, CCleaner v3.21.1767, Foxit v5.1.3.0606, Eraser v6.0.9.2343, Fastone Capture v 2.53

This server was completely rebuild 20 days ago. The only AV/Malware/Scanner app code on this machine ATM is from ESET - ESFS4MWS.
    Cheers!

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

Yes, the ESET Remote Administrator Server and Console will run side by side with ESET File Security for Microsoft Windows Server.

In order to setup the ESET Remote Administrator Server and Console please see the ESET Basic Setup Guide.

Additionally, it sounds like you want to create a pre-configured package; use this for deployment; have the clients look back to the sever for further instructions; all at/post installation.

Please see the following ESET article for deploying a pre-configured packed to your clients. I typically recommend method 2.

NOTE - A silent install is required in order for the settings in the configuration to be applied, as noted in the article.

6. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

ThomasC,
    NO! I do NOT wish to create a pre-configured package at my server! I DO wish to use an ESET created 'client-package-for-Endpoint' that I can install on my clients (first), and then, (2) admin the new clients to focus back to my server for their future vdef/update files via my new 'Mirror' on the server.

I have dl'd your 2 shares and printed both. I will read/study both of them before I deploy your recc'd ERAC code (4.2.76.0?) for 'Version 5?' o_O

Note to ESET Developers: You have now managed to make a mess of file versions and datestamps, Marketing versions, Marketing 'Names', and such.
    I trust that you understand all of this. Many of your long-term users simply do NOT! Yet I stay a solid ESET user during all of this confusion.
    BTW, still trying to upgrade from V2 BE (wonderful!) to V5? 'EndPoint' (in-process...)

7. ThomasC

I see. You would like to use, “ESET created 'client-package-for-Endpoint' that I can install on my clients (first)….”

There are several different ways to install the ESET Endpoint products on your client’s computers; while remotely managing / providing a local update path via a local mirror, on the server.

Download the install file directly from the website, install it, and then:

Change the settings manually. Open the ESET GUI. Push F5. In the Advance setup tree go to Tools->Remote administration. Check the box to connect to Remote Administrator server. Additionally, enter the host name of the server in the Server address field. Next, under update->General enter the local update path. For example, http://Server_Name:2221. Hit OK to save the configuration.

OR

Import a configuration file that has the desired settings.

Create a package that will install on the clients first and then check in with the server for remote administration / virus def updates etc…

Install via, Push, Email and Logon Script

Use Group Policy to Deploy the ESET Clients.

You may of course may use whichever method you prefer.

8. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

OK! I am now very unhappy! :mad:
    Sadly, I have nowhere to vent but here at the WildersSecurity forum.

I now run ESET EFSWS (v4.5.12005.0) on my 'server.' I was 'steered' to this AV code in the past heavily. Fine. My 'server' is protected. Yes, I do notice that this AV SW SEEMS TO BE in the Version 4 series of ESET SW.
    The doc files (277-pdf-pgs) indicate I can enable a 'Mirror.' Well, not yet folks!

YES!!! I am so confused ATM. Really!

I would hope that my 'server' collects ESET update vdef business and makes this info available (via a Mirror) to my 4 windows XP Clients (now running ESET AV v5.0.2126.0 AV) Very well, actually!

My 'server' does NOTHING more importantly than run ESET SW to serve my clients! Nothing more!!!

Which RAS, ERAC, ERA, and/or 'console' package(s) should I use? o_O

I would be very happy to end this update at Version ? Endpoint AV on my 'server'; serving my V5 Endpoint clients (v5.0.2126.0). Nothing more, truly.

9. ThomasC

-Sent PM to offer assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.