ESET free online scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by javahole, Oct 11, 2015.

1. javahole

javahole Registered Member

Hello people,

I'm having some weird problems lately which seem to have stopped when i turned off my Comodo CIS, so i'm in two minds whether to use another free commercial AV at all and i'm currently scanning my system with just Windows Defender to check my system.

One thing i've noticed is that when i've got infected before and it's been detected by such things as Avira, MBAM etc, is that the experts from those companies always advise you to use the online scanner ESET.

So IF that free online ESET scanner is that good why can't i just scan with that once a month, and enable and scan with Windows Defender and the occasional scan of MBAM, and use Toolwiz Time Freeze when i'm using something like Java etc? I now always have Java and Flash disabled if i'm not using it, and i use Adblock Plus.

Will the free ESET scanner easily remove any nasties that slip through Windows Defender for me?

Cheers

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I wouldn't recommend relying on online scanners. For instance, if you were hit with Filecoder / Cryptolocker and your files got encrypted, no antivirus software would decrypt the data. In some cases it's possible to make a decoder but quite often decryption is not possible. That said, rather than reactive cleaning focus on proactive protection so that malware has no or just a very little chance to do some damage before it's late.

3. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Would work just fine but it is a good idè to have an Av/scanner with a local virusdefinition database in case you loose the internet connection. Regular update of MBAM or your Av would take care of that. You should really consider changing Av since W.Defender is not a competent Av.

Lastly, backing up is important too not just protection.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

ESET Online is good second opinion AV - just to check if something got past Windows Defender.
    More important than using this or that AV is to learn from past infections and not doing same mistakes again. Prevention is better than cure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.