ESET Firewall RC1

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ASpace, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!

I am not very good with firewalls and I'd like to ask some questions about ESET's Firewall in ESS RC1 . The questions are about some "hard-coded" rules or something like that , I am sure they didn't apprear in previous beta versions (at least they weren't that visible)

1. They can be seen if Interactive Mode is used
    2. They cannot be edited
    3. I have attached their screenshots so that you can see them

Can you say a few words about them and if a firewall expert (like Stem) finds them OK .

Something else I would like to add:
    I got out of my DSL modem/router and tested the ESS firewall on both PC-Flank and GRC (I did all tests) . Both PC Flank and GRC show Stealth on all ports/tests (which makes me happy )

All pro comments are kindly appreciated !!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Attached Files:

2. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

I discussed this issue with Stem via private message ~ 1 month ago. Since the message was private, I leave it up to him as to whether he wants to make his findings known here. He did post on the topic in this thread (#9):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183610&highlight=firewall+capabilities

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello,
    The Hard_coded rules have been in place since the first beta. Questions where asked about these (on forum) but no reply given.

"oldshep" did PM me concerning system rules and problems with blocked packets within this firewall. I did reply to show where these rules are, and the fact I do not beta-test or use any firewall with hard_coded rules.
    I have problems with such hard_coded rules for DHCP/DNS, as I personally would always want to bind such rules to the server IP`s, not leave them open as they are. I would also expect popups for any update attempts, and the ability to bind the rules to update servers. I personally will not use this firewall with its hard_coded rules in place.

As for "Stealth", well, (as I have mentioned on other threads), such scans from "shields up" are based mainly on "TCP SYN" packets, and are easily dropped. But with such rules that allow outbound for services such as from port 135, then other scans can be made, with replies given.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Those pictures beat 10,000 words. That baby looks geeky, but It also looks granular.

5. feniks

feniks Registered Member

Maybe I do not understand something but to me looks like you can uncheck/disable those rules and then is possible to create own ones?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I just noticed this thread and I have forgotten about . Thank you everybody for the replies ! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.