ESET firewall intermittently blocking internet

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mikiki, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikiki

mikiki Registered Member

I have windows 8 pro x64 and smartsecurity 6.0.308.0 and recently ESET started intermittently blocking internet. How do I know this? Simply disabling and enabling firewall fixes this issue temporarily until 30 mins later or few hours later it happens again. When it happens I cant even connect to router on my LAN.

Secondly I'm quite suspecting ESET firewall to be disconnecting me briefly from net when I launch torrent application. If I'm connected to IRC at the same time i will lose connection.

I tried enabling most of options in IDS, it helped a little bit but the problem never went away fully. I'm contemplating removing ESET completely from my PC because this is beyond annoying.

The only positive thing I can say is they finally fixed action center flashing. /sigh

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

3. mikiki

mikiki Registered Member

I'm too tired of doing such thing. Applications shouldn't be debugged by it's users once in retail version. This is unacceptable. Not to even mention, it's not like I will get a sure fix, since nobody knows how this firewall works on the inside. All the intricacies are unknown to us.

For example, firewall causing BSOD is just a very bad application. And years and years have passed since I first witnessed such behavior from firewalls. In 2013 it is still possible to get BSOD from certain firewalls. This is just extreme example.

And I'm getting tired of applications in 2013 not working. If it takes rocket scientist to figure out and adjust firewall to work "decently" then screw that application I'm too tired for this and will uninstall.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If the firewall has detected certain attack and you have blocking of addresses after attack detection enabled, it's an expected behavior that further communication will be blocked.
    Also it's not a reason to blame the firewall for detecting attacks as it's one of the jobs it's supposed to do. You can find out more about the reason for blocking by enabling logging all blocked communications as suggested above.

5. mikiki

mikiki Registered Member

That is the whole point. ESET blocked by IDS packet from my router 192.168.0.1 which is idiotic. Furthermore I have disabled blocking of addresses after detected threat and still it does it. ESET is just a bad firewall it is time to acknowledge it.

I liked eset because of nod32 but firewall even though it looks nice is just bad application. I'm tired of it and I uninstalled it.

EDIT: of course i will blame firewall for making false detections and blocking net for it! Other firewalls like comodo don't do that. You have all the fun you want with this stupid ESET firewall I'm done.

6. Marcos

We've seen routers and network printers scanning remote ports which is in fact correctly evaluated as an attempt to perform a port scan attack, something that a firewall should warn about. You can add the IP address of your router to the list of addresses excluded from active protection in the IDS setup so that the firewall ignores any potential "attacks" from it.
    It would really help to know what is logged in the firewall log if you do the following:
    - enable logging of blocked communications in the IDS setup
    - restart the computer
    - try to reproduce the problem
    - post here the recent firewall log records.

7. mikiki

mikiki Registered Member

No thanks! I had enough of your crappy firewall. I have uninstalled it, installed Comodo and guess what? NO SUCH PROBLEM!

8. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I'm sorry but how is that helpfull?
    You post about a problem, the community tries to help, Marcos gives you a reasonable response (one that you might not like) and instead of providing a log to try an trace the problem you uninstall the product and go for another?

9. mikiki

mikiki Registered Member

Because as I already said it is not up to user to debug bad software once it is in final version. Year is 2013 and I don't buy stories how extraordinarily complex firewalls are so that if we want to have them we have to pay the price of debugging software on individual basis. That is unacceptable.

Specially after installing different brand firewall and things work even though I can't stand Comodo's UI. If same thing happens with Comodo I will uninstall it in a second.

10. Marcos

You rejected to find out the cause for blocking. As I wrote, we assume it's most likely the router behaving in an non-standard way and producing certain attacks (probably port scanning) which are subsequently evaluated by the ESET firewall as attacks and thus the communication is blocked. Since there's no way how to distinguish actual attacks from port scanning performed by trusted devices behaving in non-standard ways, it's necessary to exclude the IP address from active protection. Maybe the Comodo firewall ignores local subnets and does not report local "attack" attempts but this is just a speculation as don't have deeper knowledge of how CF works.
    Having said that, we'll draw this thread to a close. If one is having a problem, we are willing to assist them providing the other part is willing to cooperate. Potential issues that occur after installation of an ESET product may not be necessarily caused by the product itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.