ESET Endpoint AntiVirus v5 does not scan Thunderbird v13 emails

Discussion in 'ESET Endpoint Products' started by HerbalTowers, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HerbalTowers

HerbalTowers Registered Member

Hello
    I recently upgraded to ESET Endpoint AntiVirus (5.0.2122.1) and since the upgrade my emails do not appear get scanned. I use Thunderbird (13.0.1) as my email client which accesses my email account via IMAP (port 143).

In the ESET GUI, when I go to Tools > Protection Statistics > Email Client Protection, all the statistics indicate that no emails are being scanned.

I have checked the configuration in ESET and all the email client protection stuff looks like it is setup correctly.

Has anyone else has a similar issue?

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

3. HerbalTowers

@dwomack, thanks for the reply but the posts you link to say that POP3/IMAP is scanned regardless of the client used. My issue is that in the ESET GUI, when I go to Tools > Protection Statistics > Email Client Protection, all the statistics indicate that no emails are being scanned!

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The GUI | UI will not always show a scanned email count, this has always been dubious at best. I would defer you to what dwomack posted
    Or Which email clients are compatible with Windows ESET security products?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try sending an email with the eicar test file to your email address and then receive it on the client running EEA 5.0.2122 to find out if it's detected or not.

6. HerbalTowers

@Marcos, unfortunately this does not help because the IMAP mail server also appears to run AV software and it strips out the EICAR test file before it gets to Thunderbird!

Is siljaline's post correct that the statistics shown on Tools > Protection Statistics > Email Client Protection are not reliable?

7. siljaline

Screenshot to illustrate my view of Thunderbird scanned email statistics.

Attached Files:

8. P_R_

P_R_ Eset Staff Account

Hello siljaline,

the statics are correct, because the messages are not scanned as e-mails by plugin but they are scanned on the level of the protocol - POP3/IMAP so the malware is detected and stopped even before reaching your6 mailbox.

9. HerbalTowers

@siljaline, thanks for the screenshot, you have similar statistics to me ;)

I think my issue has been that I misinterpreted what the email statistics represented. P_R_ explains it nicely in his post.

Many thanks for yours and everyone's help...

10. siljaline

Happy to help HerbalTowers. I was aware EAV protects at the POP|IMAP level although these are not shown in the UI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.