ESET Cybersecurity for Mac 4.0.72.1 - System Non-Responsive

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by JAB, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAB

JAB Registered Member

I'd love to keep ESET Cybersecurity for Mac, but I'm almost positive it's causing Mac OS X to become almost completely unresponsive. Periodically, the system will require tens of seconds to minutes to respond to each mouse click. Often, this is accompanied by very high CPU utilization by ESET.

Just now, I had to restart the computer in order to regain control. Shortly after the system restarted, the symptoms began to return. Then, the ESET GUI appeared to die; it vanished from the menu bar. CPU utilization went back to normal. I started the ESET Cybersecurity app to get the GUI back, and CPU utilization went back up and the system started becoming unresponsive.

ESET Cybersecurity
    Product version: 4.0.72.1
    Update module 1031
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module 1318
    Virus signature database 6418
    Archive support module 1135
    Advanced heuristics module 1118
    Cleaner module 1051

Mac OS X 10.7.1
    Macbook Air with 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD

I'm uninstalling until at least the next ESET Cybersecurity update. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

2. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Hi JAB,

Experienced the same problem as yours on my MacBook Air, 4GB RAM running MAC OS X 10.7.1

Uninstalled ESET Cybersecurity and still got 11 months to go for my subscription. Think ESET got to work harder for a better product for MAC.

3. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Based on my experience with ESET Cybersecurity on MacBook Air (4GB RAM, 64GB SSD) running OSX 10.7 Lion, below is my humble opinion:
    1. Though ESET has great product for Windows platform, unfortunately ESET does not get it right on Mac OSX platform. With the antivirus installed, system became not responsive and occasionally caused system to crash during boot up. Am regret to say, is not worth spending the money. Not until ESET improve the product.

2. While waiting for ESET to release a much improved antivirus for Mac OSX, I would recommend to give Sophos a try. Free for home user. With Sophos antivirus installed, the system is more responsive than ESET Cybersecurity.

4. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Our development team will need additional information about the affected systems so that this can be investigated further. If you are experiencing some of the issues described here, please contact me via PM and I'll provide you with instructions on how to get that information.

Thank you.

5. pierr0t

pierr0t Registered Member

Hi

I also have been experiencing unresponsive system, especially when using a code editor (tested with both Coda and Espresso) with files being stored on a SMB share.
    I am working ok and then suddenly, each time I click in the editor window, I get the spinning wheel for like 2-3 seconds, and then I am able again to work ..
    I made a lot of test (like using a different code editor), and came to the conclusion that Cybersecurity might be the culprit.
    I might even have found a solution. Like I said, I am working for some time and the pbm starts suddenly. By default, virus signatures updates are every hour. And thinking about it, I thought that yes, maybe, I was working ok for 1 hour and then, spinning wheel.
    This afternoon, I made updates to run every 4 hours, and got the spinning wheel after ... Roughly 4 hours.
    Of course it's very difficult to diagnose ... but I was very happy to work ok for 4 hours.
    When I get the spinning wheel, I just have to close the editor and re-start it, and I am ok again for 1 ou 4 hours !
    Well .. would like to know if some one else sees the same thing !
    Ah yes: 10.7.1 and last Cybersecurity 4.0.72.1

P.

6. gusrad

gusrad Registered Member

Hi Tonym - tried to PM you but the system is currently unavailable.

I have the same problem as the rest of these guys - the system is very unresponsive and it is as a result of esets_daemon consuming huge cpu cycles.

Please let us know what additional information you require so that we can sort this problem out.

Regards,

7. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

Did a scanning test for 2 antivirus product for Mac OSX 10.7.1

Looks like ESET Cybersecurity is slow on the scanning speed :( And, I did uninstall the other AV before running the test. So, only ONE AV is installed and running on my Mac OSX 10.7.1

Sophos AV for Mac (Free)

Scan started at 2011-09-19 14:07:41 +0800

New volume detected at /Volumes/boonchin.ng
    New volume detected at /
    2011-09-19 14:39:17 +0800 Encrypted file: /Users/user/Documents/My Documents/Ordering Guide/Tandberg Product GPL APAC_1st Release (plasiapac30).xlsx

Scan completed at 2011-09-19 14:43:18 +0800.
    325141 items scanned, 0 threats detected, 1 issues

ESET Cyberecurity (Paid Subscription)

Version of virus signature database: 6475 (20110919)
    Date: 19.9.2011 Time: 18:57:15
    Scanned disks, folders and files: /;
    Scan terminated by user!
    Number of scanned objects: 180184
    Number of threats found: 0
    Time of completion: 19:29:34 Total scanning time: 1939 sec (00:32:19)

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

9. mjboon

mjboon Registered Member

10. foneil

foneil Eset Staff Account

To close the loop on this thread--ESET Cybersecurity for Mac version 4.0.76 includes a number of optimizations to improve performance on Mac OS X Lion. One of which is CPU spikes on Macbook Airs with Solid State Drives.

For instructions on upgrading, visit the following ESET Knowledgebase article: For other updates and fixes, see the ESET Cybersecurity changelog.

11. vanfi253

vanfi253 Registered Member

I have had the same problems- after just over a month of having my new mac my ESET cybersecurity failed to open. I then had freezing problems and the processing became very slow.
    It got to the point where i could no longer insert symbols in my word document and my internet browser could no longer open any sites.
    I have taken it back to the store and the entire system had to be restarted- my ESET cybersecurity has been reinstalled so I hope this will not be a reoccurring theme.

12. sputnik1

sputnik1 Registered Member

Me too. Screenshots Activity Monitor and the current config are attached. This is a MacBook air with SSD.

Any advice?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.