Eset 6 Av first impressions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rollers, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. layman

layman Registered Member

We see the messages on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 and XP SP3, but not on Windows 7 Professional.

2. djackino

djackino Registered Member

I installed 6.0.308 on two machines both running XP SP 3 (a laptop and a desktop). Installed over the existing 5.2.9.1.

No problems to report. I guess I am lucky, I sympathize with those having issues with R6. I am not noticing any slowdowns, interference with other apps, or ghost notifications.

3. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Exactly that what's counts.

But unfortunately, since ESET very rarely performs well in the tests by AV-Test, people that think that these types of tests actually shows the full potential of the product will not think about real life usage as we do. Thus they will most likely not use, or even recommend the product. And thereby it somewhat damages the reputation of ESET as a company, and how effective the products really are.

Symantec jumped out of the AV-C testing since they didn't agree with their methods (or similar). And I some how think that ESET could do the same with AV-Test since the results doesn't do any good for any part at the moment, I guess it only confuses the customers at best.

6. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

Never failed here really :thumb:
    thats why I keep eset, maybe I put too much faith in these tests.

7. Marcos

Maybe you've read this recent blog from a manager working for Microsoft regarding the latest tests. One thing are samples used in tests and another thing is malware actually endangering users worldwide.

8. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I noticed an unusual problem with nod32 v.6. After reboot, most of the installed programs run relatively slow. After that, nod32 obviously caching the files and programs run almost immediately, until the next reboot. It seems that the list of cached files is deleted during each reboot, which is, to my knowledge, an unusual occurrence!? Did anyone else notice this? Thank you.

9. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I don't have this problem here, my pc is faster with nod32 than with windows defender, so i don't think this is happening, at least not in my machine.

interesting read... maybe ESET should take a stand and withdraw from all those tests... nod32 probably has one of best detection of wild and 0-day malware.

10. Marcos

To make sure, do you have LiveGrid enabled?

11. er34

er34 Guest

That is true /the fact nod has the best 0-day malware detection/. Anyway, the technical guys at [any vendor] would most probably like to withdraw from the tests but the marketing team at [any vendor] says this is bad for the company image and for the product brand and the comapny'd better be in with low results than out with no results. There is no bad marketing!

Now with low results - the companies are being discussed, thus making the company look good. Some will continue to think the company is bad but those who though that the company was excellent will now be even better fans and more excited about it. The popularity and thus the potential will get higher ! What matters today are not exactly the results, but the potential certaint company has :thumb:

12. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Yes, Live Grid is enabled.

13. Marcos

Please upload the file "%ProgramData%\ESET\%ProductName%\local.db" as well as some executables that take longer to launch to a safe location and PM me the download link.

14. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I solved the problem by deleting "local.db". Now everything is working properly. :argh: Thank you, anyway! :)

15. Marcos

We were interested to have a look at your local.db to ensure there are no problems with it. Without investigating issues and ruling out potential bugs, it's not possible to guarantee that they will not recur in the future. Instead of deleting files, it's much safer just to rename them, if necessary.

16. layman

layman Registered Member

Turns out the spurious messages occur on 7 Pro also.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I still don't understand what it is that actually triggers this notification window to showup. I use XP SP3 Fully patched and I have seen this popup ONCE so it's very very weird, and what it seems totally random.

18. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I would like to see an ESET Solution KB written on the ESET Social Media Scanner or ESMS that shows users how to opt-out of the feature until the bugs are resolved.

19. Marcos

The Social media scanner is only installed with user's consent who must grant it permissions before it's installed in one's Facebook account. It can be removed like any other Facebook application.

20. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

App privacy was not disclosed by ESET:
    --------------------------------------
    THIS APP WILL RECEIVE:
    • Your basic info
    • Your email address
    • Your likes
    • Your photos
    • Your status updates
    • Friends' likes
    • Photos shared with you
    • Status updates shared with you

By clicking "Allow", you will turn on platform applications and your "How people bring your info to apps they use" settings will be reset to their defaults. By electing to opt-in in order to use ESMS, one's Facebook privacy settings are rendered to a default level - not recommended.

From Facebook Help ~
    How do I remove or delete an app from my account.

When ESET elected to get into the social media arena, due diligence and disclosure should have been better disclosed. Support in this area has been weak or lacking from what I have seen here and via others I know that have run and are continuing to run the Social Media Scanner.

Additionally, it just does not work in many cases. Regardless of Browser settings - ad blocking - Facebook Privacy settings.

21. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

Version 6.0.308.0 running well with no problems on Windows 7 x64.
    A clean install was used.

Only minor niggle I have is if the PC is put into Sleep mode upon wakeup a warning is shown against the NOD32 Update icon that an attempt to update failed. I can only think that NOD32 attempts to update before the internet connection is active on wakeup.

22. catilley1092

catilley1092 Registered Member

Something's wrong with NOD32 version 6. I bought a 3 user boxed version of NOD32 version 4 for $18.99 @ Newegg several months back, knowing that I would need to renew, & anyone that knows ESET knows that price for 3 PC's is awesome.

However, the update to the latest version of NOD32 (6) crippled two different computers, one running XP Pro SP3, the other 7 Pro SP1. Thing is, both were clean installs, just fully updated, no other apps installed yet.

XP Pro simply freezes on the spot, after a reboot, Windows 7 just sits there with that neon circle twirling after entering my password.

The really odd thing, on the one computer which NOD32 6 runs good on, it's been cloned from drive to drive, much software installed/uninstalled, but I do keep it defragged with Perfect Disk. And when uninstalling, use Revo to get rid of as much of the app as possible.

In the meantime, on the two computers that NOD32 6 won't run on is running version 5 w/no negative issues. Am running MBAM Pro on all of my Windows installs as a second line of defense.

Needless to say, NOD32 6 hasn't impressed me at all. Fortunately, this is my 3rd renewal, if I was a first time customer, I'd be wanting my money back. Now I know to run a version behind.

Cat

23. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

On the two systems running Microsoft Windows XP SP3 and Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 with all updates and no other third-party software installed, did you try uninstalling MBAM Pro before installing ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

24. grun93

grun93 Registered Member

I just installed version 6 on top of version 5. No clean install, but rightclick on NOD32 icon in taskbar, open updatescreen, check, install. After reading the message from Agoretsky above, I did not uninstall MBAM but simply disabled it en prevented it from starting at boot.
    Everything seems to be working fine, however, I had to reboot three times before the NOD32 icon in the taskbar returned. Also, there still is an Eset entry (empty) in the all programs menu.

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with all the latest patches and updates.

[edit] The following day: at startup, no NOD32 icon in the taskbar. After a reboot, the icon showed up. I don't know why. But, with or without icon, in all cases NOD32 seems to be running because I saw the NOD32 opening screen at startup, and in TaskManager ekrn.exe is running, both in Processes and in Services. I did not notice this on/off icon behaviour in version 5. However, I'm also running an app called Security Task Manager which includes a program Spy Protector and that last program also has an icon which is not always visible, one day it is and the next day it is gone.

[edit2, two days later] The problem still remains that sometimes the NOD32 icon pops up in the taskbar, and sometimes it does not. I never saw this behaviour with previous versions, which were all installed the clean (from scratch) way. So I ran out of patience and decided to uninstall whatever is running and do a clean install. Uninstall was pretty straightforward with the esetuninstaller.exe in safe mode, and the installation of v6 was also a piece of cake.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  25. Mrzocor

Mrzocor Registered Member

Does it stop virusus? That's all I care about. MOney pak eats it for lunch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.