ESET 3.0 and 99% CPU Usage

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by cosmopsis, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmopsis

cosmopsis Registered Member

I have Windows XP ver. 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2, 512 MB; AMD Athlon Processor (1394 MHz). When my PC is started or "attach" a file to a mail or in "random mode" 99-100% system resources taken up for 5-10 minutes by ekrn.exe. I've dowgraded to 2.7: it's all ok. What's wrong with NOD? It's a Norton Clone?
    ciao

2. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

Update your OS to Service Pack 3 and download all updates. Then, you can download ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.684 from:
    http://www.eset.eu/download1

Use deffault settings.

3. cosmopsis

Thanks for reply :)
    My PS is updated. I've installed on another PC (XP home SP3 + 1Gb ram DDR etc.): it's all the same :(
    please give me advice
    ciao.

4. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

Now, you use ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.684, right?

Do the following:
    1. Enter ESET NOD32 Antivirus
    2. Click the button on the keyboard F5
    3. Click on Real-Time file System protection
    4. Do as shown in this photo:

[​IMG]

5. Then, choose Setup...
    6. Uncheck of Runtime packers, Advanced heurestics and Potentially unsafe applications.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Choose OK.

I hope then no problem.

5. cosmopsis

If I give up to scanning Runtime packers, Advanced heurestics and Potentially unsafe applications... what am I going to do with it? :) By the way: doesn't work :(
    ciao

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Use CCleaner or another good registry cleaner and make certain there are no remnants from a prior install. Then, reinstall the latest build of NOD32. I was unable to use anything but 2.7 until the latest build was released (3.0.684.0) as I the exact same issue with 100% CPU usage/spikes. I have not had one instance of it with this build, and I have unistalled and reinstalled the program three times the last few days. Nothing was changed on my machine to effect this outcome and I am using the default settings.

I hope this helps.

7. cosmopsis

Grazie!
    I use CCleaner regularly. Thank you very much for advice. I'm angry with ESET!!! :mad:
    OT: Which is lifetime of NOD32 ver. 2.7o_O?

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

The lifetime of ver. 2.7 is currently the same as to all other versions of NOD32; meaning you can use 2.7 just as you can use 3.x and 4.x.

9. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

What is your firewall and what other AV-type programs including anti-spyware are you running?

10. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

My advice to you is to download ESET SysInspector by:
    http://www.eset.eu/en/eset-sysinspector

Run it, select File -> Save Log, save it somewhere and send e-mail to support@eset.com entitled "100% CPU", a brief description of your problem and attached log of ESET SysInspector.

Fun meeting new year!

11. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Try new ESS4's beta version, which include limits for tested objects.

12. Chai

Chai Registered Member

I'm experiencing a similar problem. Every time I load a popular freeware app called ImgBurn (downloaded from download.com), it takes five minutes for it to load when Advanced Heuristics is checked on in "Setup > Antivirus and antispyware > Real-time file system protection > Setup...". ekrn.exe runs at 96-99% during this time, according to TaskManager, and remains at that level for a few minutes after the app finally loads (a total of 8 minutes of severe slow down). When I check Advanced Heuristics off, the problem ceases. I haven't tried all my apps yet with them on, the others I did try ran fine with Advanced Heuristics on. No error messages or virus warnings pop up, just severe slow down. But I'd like to have the higher security setting turned on...

I'm running ESET NOD32 Antivirus 3.0.684.0, Virus Sig 3731 (20090101) as of this writing. I just wiped and reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP3 with all Windows updates, so I'm pretty clean. I use Comodo Firewall 3.5.57173.439 (no Comodo antivirus; just Firewall with Defense+ on). 2 GB DDR400 RAM, 3 GB page file, AMD Sempron 3000, 300 GB hard disk, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 256 MB video RAM (not shared with system).

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hey, what version of ImgBurn are you using? I'm using v2.4.2.0 plus advanced heuristics in ESET (latest) and it launches in about 2 seconds.

14. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

I use ESET Smart Security v4 Beta 1 (including advanced heuristics) and ImgBurn 2.4.2.0 and I have no problem.

15. Chai

Chai Registered Member

I upgraded from 2.4.1.0 to 2.4.2.0 after reading your post and ImgBurn no longer causes a problem, thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.