eScan says I have virus??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Today using eScan Antivirus toolkit the following were identified as virus.

C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\Plugins\WildTangent\plugin\WildTangent\onplay.exe infected by "not-a-virus:AdWare.WildTangent.b" Virus.

File C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\Plugins\WildTangent\progfile\onplay.exe infected by "not-a-virus:AdWare.WildTangent.b" Virus.

File C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\Plugins\WildTangent\wtsetup.exe infected by "not-a-virus:AdWare.WildTangent.b" Virus.

I had McAfee when I got the computer about 3 weeks ago, and changed it to Bit Defender. I have not been without a AV. No scan has revealed the entries that eScan did.
    I am somewhat sceptical as to whether they are in fact real virus or not. Of course the scanner said it did not fix them and I would have to buy the eScan to remove them.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

That is not a virus, as the name "not-a-virus:AdWare.WildTangent.b" suggests. WildTangent is a method of delivering content and has widely been flagged as ad/spy/riskware. Most likely, it was detected through eScan's KAV engine with its "extended databases" enabled to cover such "riskware". If you want to remove it, which I do reccomend, you could try uninstalling it from the Add/Remove Programs menu and then run a scan with anti spyware programs like Ad-Aware, Spybot, MS/GIANT Antispyware to see if there are any remnants. Then, you should be good to go :D

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks a lot both of you.
    I suspected it was something like that.
    I DL the removal tool. I guess that there is not a great deal of risk associated with the WT game.

Thanks again,
    Jerry

6. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    I'm not sure I would say hat as almost every spyware program out there that is decent will tell you it is spyware and should be removed. If it was not that bad most of them would not include it.

7. Hpnotiq

Hpnotiq Registered Member

I thought e-scan was free? it says i have to pay to remove anythign

8. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    it informs you of the virii on the system but you have to pay to remove them. I simply ignore the pay part and clean the system myself. The nice thing about it is that it includes the extended definition files so you get a good crossample of adware and other things.

If it finds adware on your system then download adaware and spybot search and destroy and use them to clean your system up. Other than that come back here after your system is clean and post what if left others here should be able to advise you weather or not you should get rid of anything.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I guess you guy's have said everything I wanted to say!!! However, I still am an expert only for the paid version of eScan....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.