eScan Portable - Unnecessary files?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by weirddemon, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weirddemon

weirddemon Registered Member

I'm currently testing eScan portable for use in my AVERT application. I tried using it before, but was unable to fully automate it. I've found out that this is mostly due to my improper use of its arguments. It looks like I should be able to use it.

But, before I spend a bunch of time researching and, mostly, testing it with AVERT, I need to slim down the package.

Un-archived, it's 250 MBs. Which is more than double the largest scanners I use and more than 4x the size of the smallest. Archiving is only reduces the size by 50 MBs. In an ideal world, I'd like for the package to be under 90 MBs, archived.

I made a small app and recursed through all of the files located within the eScan directories. The attached text file has all of the file names.

Can anyone help me figure out what's not needed so I can slim down the package? Somethings seem obvious, but others, not so much.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. weirddemon

Actually, I was looking through the lists and it seems the largest problem, is the Plugin folder.

Does anyone know if this is actually necessary? There's one file that is 164 MBs in size. Getting rid of that one file would solve really slim it down. However, if it can't be removed, then there's not a whole lot that can be done to slim it down.

Here's the file: cache.000

3. weirddemon

Hm... what's interesting is that I tried removing the Plugin folder entirely. The app threw an error and I moved it back.

Then I removed the cache.000 file. That brought the total un-archived size down to 134 MBs. When I ran eScan, it created the cache file again. It was even the same size as the one I removed. Around 168 Mbs.

But, it looks like I might be able to remove that file from the initial package so that the initial download is much smaller.

I'll continue to look through the package and see what files I can remove. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.