eScan 14 with Cloud Security released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

New version of eScan is out: Has new tile-based UI, Proactive Behaviour Blocker and Cloud Protection features. I will give it a go soon, in the meantime the beta version can be seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSbtb8tlHWs

Still uses BitDefender engine AFAIK. :)

Download Links:

eScan AV:

http://www.escanav.com/english/content/products/downloadlink/downloadproduct.asp?pcode=ES-AVv14

eScan ISS:

http://www.escanav.com/english/content/products/downloadlink/downloadproduct.asp?pcode=ES-03ISSv14

2. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Any info about their "cloud" ?

Reputation system ?

Behavioral analysis ?

signatures "in the cloud" ?

thanks for info.

3. Firecat

It seems the links have not been updated yet and they download the old version 11. Will let you guys know when I get a proper link.

4. Firecat

@spywar:

1) Signatures local, not in the cloud. BitDefender database + their own.
    2) Reputation system is used but only for website blocking
    3) Behaviour blocker is the same as BitDefender Active Virus Control, they have licensed BitDefender's Behaviour Blocker.

Will have screenshots and further analysis later. :)

5. Firecat

The UI shot is shown below:

http://s10.postimage.org/6ud72ns7t/image.png

It presumably uses BitDefender Cloud, though I am not sure at the moment yet. Firewall is pretty much the same as before. As far as antimalware is concerned this product is basically BitDefender in a new GUI + an extra database. :)

It is really cheap for an internet security suite, so it might be worth it for a few users. I recommend people to give it a try. Download links for version 14 should be out soon, but for now try these:

Internet Security:
    xttp://update1.mwti.net/akdlm/download/escan/escan14/iwn2k3ek.exe

Anti-Virus:
    xttp://update1.mwti.net/akdlm/download/escan/escan14/awn2k3ek.exe

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
  6. gery

gery Registered Member

45 bucks isn't that cheap :D :D

7. Firecat

There's a 50% discount available, so it is well worth it :D

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thanks for the shot, though I personally don't like these dark GUIs at all like Bitdefenders or this one......
    "Afraid of the dark....are you?" :D

9. DX2

DX2 Guest

140mb for cloud? o_O

10. Firecat

Well, that was a "shot in the dark" :D :D

One of the good things about eScan is MWL (MicroWorld Winsock Layer) which is basically like a full-fledged HTTP scanner that is always active. Cool feature to have, though probably doesn't impact protection too much :)

BTW, links in the original post should now point to the "proper" release of version 14.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I think that's because of the Bitdefender engine that they use :doubt:

12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

More bloatware.:thumbd: :shifty:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Ye bitdefender really need to sort out the size their engine takes up on disc.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  14. Firecat

Yeah, the database size is huge. On the plus side, the product seems very effective even without the cloud.

As far as system impact goes, eScan is odd. I can only describe that I have been experiencing "hiccups" of slowdown in an otherwise smooth system with this product installed. They now have an anti-phishing filter which has a "slow high accuracy mode" and a "fast, normal accuracy" mode. I don't know of it's efficacy, tests will show for sure. The suite also has some cookie/cache eraser, an application to define folder and file rights and a "secure delete" function for files, which is quite nifty but IMO unnecessary in an Internet Security Suite.

You can also prohibit autorun from running on USB Sticks and optical drives if you so wish, as well as launch startup scans for removable media.

For now it's a decent product based the BitDefender engine and has hourly updates. Decent protection, but even the Anti-Virus edition comes with a firewall.

15. Firecat

After a few days' worth of testing, I have uninstalled eScan for the time being. There are some concerns about the current version:

- It disables the network offloading capabilities of certain network adapters (IPv4 Checksum Offload, TCP Checksum Offload, Large Send Offload, UDP Checksum Offload).
    - It has issues with certain network adapters causing hangups and hiccups.

These issues seem related to the functioning of their firewall and MWL technology (I use a 32-bit OS currently).

The uninstall is very clean, with only 2 agent services left running and close to all drivers and registry keys removed. The agent services can be manually uninstalled (using an uninstaller EXE), so it is not a huge problem.

It allows archive scanning up to 64 layers. The program is very light on a computer that does not run into the issues I described above.

Back to PC Tools for me now, I just hope Symantec keeps this product alive as it works best on my PC :eek:

16. Firecat

Reinstalled eScan and it is working very well on both my desktop and laptop. The issues seem to have been resolved with a Windows hotfix and new drivers :)

It is very light now for the most part. I hope to continue using it :)

BTW: For all of you in the UK, eScan is probably the only antimalware product I know which defaults to and uses British English (yes, behaviour) :p :D :D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  17. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

WOW! Thanks for the heads up on that. I was just about to download and run this thing.

140 MB is 0.0001335144 TB. That would make my 1 TB drive gind down to a uselsess hunk of lead.

18. Firecat

They released a sort of maintenance update recently to fix bugs and improve performance. At this point, I can say eScan is a usable product, but still has a way to go in terms of user friendliness and utility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.