Errors trying to download Firefox...please help!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by teachypeachy, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teachypeachy

teachypeachy Registered Member

Hi,

I am having trouble with Firefox download. To start with I was using Window 98se and then my daughter downloaded Windows XP and for some reason it messed up my Firefox program. All of the buttons in the browser were missing and only had words for each. And the drop downs (ie. click file and then the drop-downs show up) were all black. I tried redownloading the program again and got a 7-Zip / Unspecified error. So I then uninstalled Firefox and tried downloading it again only to have the same problem. What do I do? I tried finding out something about 7-Zip, but I don't understand what to do.

I have one more problem. Now that I've got XP it keeps telling me that I need to run scans and do registry cleaning and stuff. Messenger Services pop-up come up. Also I get LSA Shell troubles (export version) and I click that away only to have my computer shut down. I think I know how to possibly get rid of the Messenger service troubles....in msconfig I can uncheck items in services. What all can I uncheck there without troubles. I unchecked some last night and then my internet shortcut on my desktop wouldn't work so I checked them all and left it alone. Any help here would be appriciated.

I really want my Firefox back though... :'(

Blessings, Teresa

2. squash

squash Registered Member

*You daughter _downloaded_ XP, is that legal? :eek:
    *Mozilla Firefox uses 7-Zip compression (Open-source algorithm and program) to keep it's file size down
    *Disable the messenger service in services.msc (Start > Programs > Run > services.msc) find "Messenger", double click and click stop, then change to Disable. To get rid of messenger popups

I think a re-format is the best solution to your problems, seriously...

3. teachypeachy

teachypeachy Registered Member

Hmmm, I don't know if it is illegal or not....is ito_O She was given the program from a friend. I'm being dumb here I guess. I really don't know! :rolleyes:

As for the other stuff, you're going to have to explain this in terms for the uninformed! Ha! o_O

I don't understand what you mean about the 7-zip...what do I do to fix the problem?

How do I re-format?

And what do I do about the LSA Shell troubles and the shutdown problem.

Sorry to sound amatuerish (is that a word?) :p

Thanks for the help.

Teresa

4. squash

squash Registered Member

Try deleting your Firefox profile (the folder that keeps your settings)
    Go to Start > Run > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -p
    then choose your profile (usually "default") and click delete. Now launch Firefox again, and see if your problem still persists.

With the LSA Shell problems witht the shutdown problem it is likely it is a virus of some kind. Does it shut down your computer after 60 seconds? Do you have an antivirus installed?

Formatting is your last resort, if the problems cannot be solved. Then you will need to reformat.

I advise you to get a computer literate person that you know come and have at look at your computer. Because your computer sounds like it is in very bad shape, with what you described.

5. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi Teresa :)
    You say your daughter was given xp from a friend of which you have installed. Firstly that is illegal unless she had purchased this from a reputable shop. If this is not the case your drive will have to be reformatted back to windows 98se using the restore disks that came with that computer. Only then will your computer run satisfactory and not before. When you have reformatted your drive please do feel free to ask here any question's you may have in getting the best out of it

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.