Errors on new large hard drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Wandering2, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wandering2

Wandering2 Registered Member

I have been using the last build of V11 Home for a couple of years on a Windows Vista Home Basic machine. I recently used the clone feature of Acronis to put the operating system on a new 500 GB hard drive, and at the same time installed a new larger second drive (D:) at 1.5 TB. Both are performing just dandy, and all softare is functioning perfectly except Acronis.

Scheduled backups no longer complete. Whether starting from the CD, the installed program, or by a scheduled task Acronis cannot complete the initial scan of the disks without halting and reporting that data cannot be read from sector X, not always the same number. If I select cancel, the scan stops, the program comes up, and I can start a backup that soon halts with the same message.

I found that if I set the job to ignore errors, and not display them, it will run to completion and the backup will verify. I can get the scheduled jobs to run that way too, but they always stop on the initial scan, and cancelling will allow the job to run to completion - but I have to do that, so unattended backups are not possible now.

I have run scandisk on both disks - a long time on 2 TB, but it finds nothing to report. No other software is complaining. The disks are SATA, obviously.

I suspect this is a driver issue, and wonder if another build is required to handle the large disks. After using Acronis since V8, I would hate to move to another product.

An obvious solution is to try 2009, but the fact is, unless of course it can fix this problem, it has nothing I want that isn't in V11. I don't upgrade, except for security reasons, any software that serves my need as it is. Will it fix this problem?

Any thoughts?

I forgot to add that I already tried the SnapAPI update with no change in behavior. Sigh

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Considering that TI sets up its own "disk handler" in device manager to do live imaging and the sometimes less than ideal support in the Linux rescue CD for new hardware, it is a possibility that TI11 doesn't make the grade. It unscienfically seems to me that there are more issues being raised about 1TB and above drive problems but that may be just because they are now more mainstream and are being used more.

Even if you didn't have a problem, I'd tell you to try the trial version of TI2009 before you bought it because of the tighter linkage to hardware configurations.

The easiest course for you to see if TI2009 solves the problem is to try the trial. Be sure you test the TI2009 rescue CD as well as the Windows portion.

3. Wandering2

It seemed worth a try, so I installed the trial version. It is better in only one respect, that it does not fail during initialize, only after the backup has actually started. I am running scandisk yet again. Several hours are required, but so far it has turned up nothing.

I also tried the SnapAPI update on the new download using the repair option, with no change in performance.

Thanks for the input. I hope others may have a suggestion.

4. Wandering2

An update.

Since I had gained nothing by using 2009, I uninstalled it, and since it had replaced V11, there was no version left on my machine. It seemed to clean up quite well, so I installed my V11 again and am in a slightly improved situation. Now it does not error on the initial startup, only when I begin a backup. If I press cancel on the dialog box, it moves on to the backup window, and then makes a backup without errors and that verifies. Still can't run scheduled jobs anymore, so I'm going to look around for an alternative program.

I would rather "fix" Acronis - I already paid for it.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Wandering2,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

Do the following to solve the issue:

1) First of all check disks for errors:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r" (where DISK is the partition letter you need to check) for every partition that is visible in My Computer. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

2) Then follow instructions I have sent you via PM to update Acronis scheduler.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.