Errors after installing demo version of NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bdmc, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdmc

bdmc Registered Member

2. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

The only time I have seen these messages was on a SBS2003 server. Which version of windows are you running?

What do the event logs say?

3. bdmc

bdmc Registered Member

I'm running windows XP SP2.

The event log says :

Faulting application svchost.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Faulting application , version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

4. pc-support

Try reinstalling SP 2 and see what that does...

Also try going to the command prompt and typing sfc /scannow (make sure you have your XP cd handy)

5. bdmc

bdmc Registered Member

I ran sfc /scannnow, I had to put in the XP cd, so I guess it found something wrong.

I then installed XP SP2 again.

The first error about "Data Execution Prevention" has now gone, and the pc doesn't lock up. But the 2nd error still occurs about 30 seconds after login.

Once the error happens, the pc becomes really slow, almost unresponsive - even though there is no cpu load or HD activity. I can click on items on the desktop or open the start menu no problem, but trying to open anything else takes upto 5 minutes or more. I still needed to hard reset, a reboot doesn't seem to do anything.

If I set a whole heap of services that use svchost.exe to manual, then I can get the pc to boot without the error, and most programs open normally. I ran a full scan with nod32 and it didn't find any problems.

After changing a few of the essential services back to auto, the error was back.

I tried to work out which services was causing the problem by trial and error, but it looks like it happens with most of the essential ones.

Another weird thing I noticed is that trying to do a ping from the command line causes a "Data Execution Prevention" error. Not sure what other programs had this problem.

Again, uninstalling nod32 and a reboot fixes the problem.

6. pc-support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.