Errors After Creating Snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by TerryWood, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

I am a newbie with just installed FD ISR

Win XP SP2 Comodo firewall Avast Home, Cyberhawk Spyware Terminator Snoopfree & Sandboxie.

When I first started creating snapshots the error log showed a number of errors, more importantly I was unable to boot into the newly created snapshot (just a blank screen)

I then tried updating the snapshot several times which reduced but never eliminated the errors. Again I could not boot into the new snapshot. I also uninstalled and reinstalled FD ISR but no joy

After research in this excellent forum I found a thread which suggested that Comodo & Cyberhawk might be the culprits. In the case of Comodo the issue was suggested to be the tick box "Protect own registry keys and files from modification"

So I set about creating snapshots by variously unticking the box in Comodo and separately suspending Cyberhawk

This appeared to work but I could never identify which one was the problem.

So a few minutes ago I unticked Comodo and Suspended Cyberhawk together and created a snapshot. This had 3 errors. I then tried updating the snapshot and it worked. No errors!

This seems to me to be both puzzling and unexpected behavior plus quite a bit of messing about to achieve basic functionality.

Could anyone assist me by shedding any light on what the problem might be

Thanks very much

Terry

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hello Terry Wood

Some utilities, as you have found, protect their drivers and this can cause errors in snapshots.

Cant comment on Comodo, but have had this experience with CHawk.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=157346

Check your logs for the errors: see what is there and get in touch with Raxco or your vendor (Raxco has a proven record with great support)

There seem to be a number of "private" copy engines out and about depending on circumstances and all accumulated info no doubt will be in updates eventually.

Search in the forum for Commodo ( I think you already have?) there are several threads about your circumstance and many threads about other security apps. Afaict most issues have been resolved.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162506&highlight=comodo

There are several utilities known to cause issues.

I haven't done this but you could try using RSS instead of VSS as an experiment, although I suspect this might not make a difference

FWIW dont give up on FDISR: you really wont regret keeping it :)

HTH

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  3. TerryWood

Hi Longboard

Thanks for your reply

"I haven't done this but you could try using RSS instead of VSS as an experiment, although I suspect this might not make a difference"

I feel a wally asking this, but how do I do it? I know VSS means volume shadow service but what does RSS mean and how do I change from VSS to RSS

Thanks

Terry

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure what RSS stands for unless it is Raxco Shadow Service Just a guess

To switch:

Go to Start>Run and type cmd then enter.

Once the command window is open type C:\$isr\$app\setup and then enter.
    Once there type ISRsetup -install -rss then enter.
    FDISR will do it's magic and then ask for a reboot. Do so and then you will be using RSS. Confirmation from the fact when you start a copy you won't see VSS starting.

Pete

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

6. TerryWood

Thanks Peter2150

Did as you instructed and typed the commands at the command prompt. Got the message that Raxco Snapshot Service is successfully installed and please reboot.

Rebooted then attempted to create a snapshot. Right at the beginning of the operation it says "loading Microsoft Volume Shadow Service (VSS)"

As I understand it this should not happen what have I done wrong?

I have repeated the process same result.

Thanks

Terry

7. ErikAlbert

TerryWood,
    Did you type the "cd" (= change directory) ?

cd \$ISR\$APP\Setup
    ISRSetup -install -rss

8. TerryWood

ErikAlbert

Thanks

Yes I did type CD first

Terry

9. ErikAlbert

Than it's something else. You can't blame me for trying. :D

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Besure you are typing CD c: \$isr\$app\setup enter

If you don't do the c: you will end up in the wrong place. If there a dir command should show several isr files.

Also after doing the ISRsetup -install -rss you should see it go thru an uninstall reinstall process and finally ask you to reboot, which you must do.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.